Choosing An Esc

BCJ

Just watched an old vid by Tony to refresh my memory re sizing an ESC.
Want to be sure I understand...

The ESC amp rating MUST be higher than the amperage of the motor, right?
The vid sounded like the ESC amp rating was also higher than the max amperage of the battery; is that correct?

I'm confused because I thought the ESC’s amp rating was supposed to be less than or equal to the battery’s max amperage.

HELP!

Tony

Staff member
Yes, the ESC needs to handle more amperage than the motor can pull. This way the ESC does not overheat due to over current. And the battery needs to be the same or larger than the ESC and motor draw. You can use a battery with a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (that is One Sextillion) C rating and you will be just fine. Remember, as I stated in that video, the Motor PULL's power, the battery and ESC do not push it.

Reactions: BCJ

BCJ

the ESC needs to handle more amperage than the motor can pull. This way the ESC does not overheat due to over current. And the battery needs to be the same or larger than the ESC and motor draw. You can use a battery with a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (that is One Sextillion) C rating and you will be just fine. Remember, as I stated in that video, the Motor PULL's power, the battery and ESC do not push it.
thank you, Tony!

Top Bottom