700 CC ESC cut out on me caused my first semi crash

xokia

So had my first crash of my trex 700. Not sure what happened but I had a HUGE voltage drop from 46v down to 9V then back up to 46V. I think I got bit by CC quality control. The ESC basically rebooted in flight. I was doing tic-toks then did a simple flip to inverted. While hovering inverted about 15 ft off the ground the motor cut out on me. I was able to flip upright which pretty much robbed me of any head speed. So the landing was kind of a controlled crash. I tried to auto down but really wasn't high enough up to gain any head speed. Did the best I could and brought it down hard.

All things considered I think I got pretty lucky. I only broke my landing gear and cracked my canopy a little bit. So cost me $6 to fix and some shoe goo on the canopy and I tossed it right back in the air. I only hovered it 5 feet off the ground and did some light piroing to see if anything else was damaged. Ripped the ESC off and sent it back to CC to see what's wrong with it.

This was a brand new CC 160HV

I don't mind crashing when it's my fault. But I was seriously PO when it's nothing I did to cause the failure.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Sure it wasn't a possible glitch in the battery? Check the wiring in the pack just to make sure.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

xokia

Sure it wasn't a possible glitch in the battery? Check the wiring in the pack just to make sure.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner
It's entirely possible but I don't think so. I thought about separating the batteries and throwing them in my 550 to test them. But I would I expect the thrashing I was giving them the prior times I flew would have brought out an issue like that. A drop in voltage from 46 -> 9v is something serious. Plus when it happened it was hovering not under a large load.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Wow, that is odd. I'd check wiring to be sure there isn't a fraying connection or a bad solder someplace.

BTW, nice flying to be able to get away with just that damage! :)

murankar

Staff member
Yes it is. I was thinking that it may be possible that the wires may have frayed, but then again its possible they did not. When I had my last crash it was due to the batteries or the esc. I have not seen any damage on my batteries as of yet, but since I use deans I may have had a bad connection or faulty esc. I am leaning to bad esc at this point. At least that's what I told the wife anyways.

I am not wanting to put another bird on this esc just in case and I have plans on replacing it just to be safe.

Lee

Is your CURRENT LIMITING in the software set to INSENSITIVE?
That could be a cause of the cut out.

xokia

So I received my ESC back from CC finally! Zero explanation about what was wrong with it they just sent me a new one and kept the old one.

I did however find this Castle Creations - Service Advisory
Anybody running a CC160 ESC should take their ESC apart and check it. They had the same exact problem on prior models. So its pretty obvious they dont know how to prevent the same mistakes from happening again.

I'm pretty much done with CC after this I will likely toss this ESC up for sale. I got the HK experience for 2x the costs.

xokia

This is what a reboot in flight looks like. Notice the voltage after the reboot.

700_crash_zpsde1603d9.gif

Last edited:

xokia

Is this from after the repair or before?
This was from the faulty ESC. I just wanted to show what the ESC logged as voltage when it dropped down to near 9V and then back up to 45v.
CC didn't "repair" my ESC they sent me a new one that I would have to solder on new wires and new connectors if I were to use it.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
one of our fella pilots had an issue with his ESC that was do to a thermal shutdown, well at least that's what he told us. We did not see his log but it did cut off while in flight. This is where Pauls (pvolcko) single line diagram comes into play.

Top Bottom