CATostrofic

Whirlybird

I could never show this to my wife and daughters . . . they'd KILL me. Our cat of 17 years is in a cat-shaped urn on an endtable in the livingroom :lol:

taizi

i know i really love cats aswell but it is an artist so what can we say they have some weird ideas, poor kitty!!

Morelight

Fearless Freep
Hey Vince, where ya been bro?

Been taking a break for a while from RC. I haven't been able to get the 450 to hover, even though its setup was by the book. 3 weeks ago I tried to get her dialed in, caught a gust, set her down hard, the velcro batt strap let go (it was a hover test, so no canopy on), batt pops up and is struck by the main blades.

Then I go pick up the battery by the wire to look at it, and it blows up. At this point, I figured it was a blade strike. Main blades shattered, main shaft bent for sure, tail boom and TT assy seem fine. I had to wait to order parts, money and work are scarce up here. I got the parts 2 days ago. Blades, mainshaft, feathering shaft, thrust bearings, thrust dampeners, links, bearings, front TT gears and rotor gear set. Hopefully it won't take all those parts.

So I've been pretty bummed, and heck if all I do is crash, I'm not contributing. When I can fly, I'll feel more useful. Some hobbies make me into an achievement whore. I know I can fly, but I still can't get the damn thing setup to fly. In my opinion, if you can't do that, you're not a pilot.

Tony

Staff member
You are doing fine with contributing. I understand the frustration this hobby brings when you are first starting out. Just look here about 9 months ago, I had this site for sale and was ready to sell it. However, I came to my senses and kept not only the site, but also kept doing the videos and kept at flying. Yes, I did sell off all of my helicopters except my mcpx, but I was still flying planes. I now have a new 450 Pro on the way here and will be getting back into it again.

I will be doing more videos on how to setup a helicopter on the DX8 that may help you out. I'm hoping these new videos will go into more depth on teh setup's than what I have done in the past. Just give me a little time to shoot them and get them uploaded.

But whatever you do, don't give up. That is the #1 rule when learning how to fly helicopters. Stay in your comfort zone. If that means just hovering for 6 months, then do that. Don't try to learn 3D when you have a hard time at FF. I'm sure you have done so, but take a look at my "How To Fly" videos and do them step by step. This was the best way for me to learn how to fly. I watched hundreds of hours of video to come up with that series and made it my own by using some techniques from not only others videos, but also some that I came up with as well. Give it a shot and follow them to the letter. You will get there. Just don't try to go too fast.

Let us know if/when you need help. That is what "Rc-HELP" is all about.

taizi

just an update ive been practising nose in flight and im getting it thanks to your vids and a properly setup heli the weather has been abit off lately and ive been real busy with school life out here but getting flights in whenever i can , im now trying to save up for a trex450 but have found a website that sells the tarot 450 pro v2 for half the price of an align it also has the fbl system and the whole lot looks like an exact clone or even made in the same place so im confused as to which one to go for, its either a align sport plus rtf, or buying one of the well equipped tarot kits or even getting a bare tarot kit and fitting it out with align parts which still works out alot cheaper but im able to buy extra batts and chargers etc, there is alot of choice

will keep you posted when i can get on here

thanks guys as always and happy flying

paul

- - - Updated - - -

just an update ive been practising nose in flight and im getting it thanks to your vids and a properly setup heli the weather has been abit off lately and ive been real busy with school life out here but getting flights in whenever i can , im now trying to save up for a trex450 but have found a website that sells the tarot 450 pro v2 for half the price of an align it also has the fbl system and the whole lot looks like an exact clone or even made in the same place so im confused as to which one to go for, its either a align sport plus rtf, or buying one of the well equipped tarot kits or even getting a bare tarot kit and fitting it out with align parts which still works out alot cheaper but im able to buy extra batts and chargers etc, there is alot of choice

will keep you posted when i can get on here

thanks guys as always and happy flying

paul

Tony

Staff member
Dude Paul, I thought you forgot about us lol. I'm glad to see you are still around. And congrats on the Nose In hovering. That is by far the hardest part to learn when flying helicopters.

As for the helicopter in question, I had the same decision on my hands. Tarot Pro super combo or Align Pro super combo. I chose Align because the 3GX system is by far better than the ZXY system. I'm happy with my choice and as they always say, you get what you pay for. Tarot is still a clone, I'm going directly to the source from now on. Will I be able to buy as many heli's? No. But I know when I get them the chances of something going wrong is very slim compared. Good luck in your decision. No matter what, we will always be here to help out.

Top Bottom