Canon XSi DSLR

Tony

Staff member
Hey eveyone. Well, I wanted to know what you guys use for still shots, so I thought that I would post up what I use. My camera of choice is the Canon XSi, and I love it. I have two different lenses for it, the 18-55, and the 55-250. They work really well for what I use it for. I did get some shots of the full luner eclipse, but because the 250 lense is not that big, they were just a little grainy. But, for a lense that cheap, I couldn't complain.

Now, I like to think that I can take some pretty good pics. I love taking pics of lightning and storms, but this year has been a total let down. Nothing even close, and nothing severe here where I'm at. All of that went east, and I hope everyone over there is okay. but, that is what I love taking pics of.

Below are just some of the pics. The eclipse was taken just as the sun was starting to shine on the moon. I just really like it for some reason lol. The rest, are from a single storm. No cloud to ground lightning, only cloud to cloud. Still love it.

Lightning 026.jpg

Lightning 031.JPG

Lightning 025.JPG

Lightning 032.jpg

Lightning 028.JPG

Lightning 020.jpg

Lightning 021.jpg

Lightning 026.JPG

Lightning 029.JPG

Lightning 027.JPG

Total Lunar Eclipse 130.JPG

Lightning 022.jpg

Lightning 030.jpg

Lightning 033.JPG

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Beautiful Tony.. I love color... and this was just amazing.. its so crazy, I have always wanted to take photos of lightning, but never had my cam on me when its happening!! GOOD JOB.. and yes, I am going to be using that for some still shots! :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Well, when these were taken, it was pitch dark outside. They range from a 1 second exposure on the darker ones, to a 15 second exposure on the bright ones. You can tell this, cause the lightning is perfect, but the clouds are blurred lmao. I love the "motion" effect that it gives. The eclipse was a 30 second exposure, and you can tell if you look at the stars, they are a little long lmao

Keith

I use a canon... EOS 400D...

I mostly point and click... Gonna have to read the manual one day....

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I know why Tony loves taking the pictures of the storm ... his favorite color is purple. Gotta love it bro :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Nice pics.. Vibrant!

Great Pictures

Thanks guys. I love taking pictures of lightning. And the moon shot was one that I took during the winter solstace eclipse. I have something like 150 pictures of that eclipse. the one that you see is right when the light is hitting the moon again. I thought it looked amazing with the way the light looked in the picture.

Admiral

Great pictures Tony, nothing beats a good DSLR for great pictures, mobile phones are great tools but not great cameras unfortunately they are always on hand so about 90% of all pictures taken now days is on a mobile phone.

Barge

Great shots Tony, lightning is one of the best natural phenomenon's that this planet produces. I use a Nikon D90 with a Nikkor DX 18-200ED lens, a far better camera than I am a photographer.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I have an 55-250 lens that I use but I'm not all that happy with it. Not the clearest pictures when you get to zooming past 100. But, it has done what I need it to do. I really need to get it back out adn do some more shooting with it.

Top Bottom