Blue Cub STOL Flight 12-21-2014

Derek

The flight went really well. I duffed the landing a bit. I simply didn't carry the forward momentum enough and the plane tip stalled about 12" off the ground , hit the ground, and tipped forward. Completely my fault but there is no damage to the plane other than a few scratches on the prop adapter.

I have 24 flights on this plane now. It's probably my best scratch build to date.

Blue Cub STOL Flight 12-21-2014 - YouTube

trainrider06

You should not show video of things like this! Makes me want to get me a plank! Haha I liked the wife's little comment there at the end 'thats easin it down" Women! lol!

Derek

This plane is probably my best and favorite scratch build. It's just awesome, all around! And yeah...my wife is good with her little comments, lol

trainrider06

I' R always had an interest in flying planes, but thought it would be kinda a pain
to transport them to and from flying areas....but that looks fun!

Derek

I don't think that planes are any more or less difficult to transport. Yes, they can take a bit longer to power up and setup, but it's all worth it. I have a lot of fun with the planes. My Blue Cub will be doing some aero towing next year.

trainrider06

I don't think that planes are any more or less difficult to transport. Yes, they can take a bit longer to power up and setup, but it's all worth it. I have a lot of fun with the planes. My Blue Cub will be doing some aero towing next year.
Well I'm thinking I might have to take a serious look at em here next year.
Have been thinking I might need to find a local club. Have a temp AMA membership,
Will probably make that a full one after first of year...
That'll be a start. Oh you gotta post video of that aero tow!

Derek

I have the glider all done and ready to go. It's just a simple $10 foam "toss glider" with 5 servos, 4 channel rx, sbec, and small lipo....covered it with packing tape...added a bit of carbon fiber rod. I have taken the glider to my flying field...there is a rather large dirt pile....tossed the glider off the dirt pile and the glider does fly very very well. I just need to work on a tow release mechanism for the Cub and then it will be "tow time".

Lillyryan

You will enjoy the gliders Derek. I live by Dartmoor here in the uk and have spent many hours Slope soaring a 3m wingspan apex glider.

Derek

Sounds like a plan! Can't wait to see it!

I'm looking forward to it. I've never done aero-towing but the videos that I've seen make it look very interesting and not "seriously" complicated. Should be lots of fun!

I also still want to have a plane , but first the quad needs to be ready

I'd like to have a decent quad but I have 3 scratch built planes to maiden, 2 scratch built planes to build, and 2 helicopter projects to accomplish first, lol. I just always seem to have my hands full, lol.

You will enjoy the gliders Derek. I live by Dartmoor here in the uk and have spent many hours Slope soaring a 3m wingspan apex glider.

I built a 60" wingspan motor glider, last year, and I loved it very much. It was just fun to sit in a chair, relax, and enjoy the slow flying and soaring. I live in the city so there aren't any places for slope soaring but I think it would be a good deal of fun.

Top Bottom