450 blade 450x

gas man

hi

at the moment im still trying to fly msr,i can fly ok but now brilliant yet,next i want to use my blade 120sr or msrx,i ahve the blade 120 huey which one day would like to fly.
the question is my wife bought me the blade 450x for xmas,i have the pheonix 4 sim and have been trying to fly it on there.
its impossible!!!! is it really that hard or is the sim harder??? is there some way i can make the 450 easier just for say figure 8s no 3d or anything fancy??
i will never fly the huey or 450x until i can fly them on sim but its a nightmare!

i can see these two collective helis sitting on top of wardrobe for many years lol.

i thought the progression was graduall,3 channel,mcx2,cx3,msr,msrx,120sr then theres the huey and 450???

any tips would be nice,im in no rush as having loads of fun doing it graduall just like to know my gameplan so to speak .will i ever get there? or should i sell them and buy one when im ready?? if ever?
thx

dave

callsign4223

Staff member
The jump from fixed pitch to collective pitch is pretty steep. I got my buddies into flying 4 channel coax. We were all flying together in a gym, them on their mcx and me on my mcpx. They were doing pretty good and getting cocky, so one of them wanted to try out my mcpx. He never even got off the ground, just tilted over on its side over and over. Collective pitch helis are not impossible, but you have to take it slow and be ready for crashing. I would suggest grabbing a nano cpx or mcpx however, you can crash those and just pick them up, put them back upright and keep going. They are almost like a real life sim.

murankar

Staff member
Sims can be harder to some degree. It all depends on you settings in the Sim and on the tx. Keep at it ans you'll get the hang of it.

I have been flying collective pitch since March of last year and I am just now getting into circuits. It just takes practice and time. You'll get it don't worry.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Change the D/R and expo in your TX. WHat are you set at? If you are set at D/R 100 and Expo 0 then its gonna be extremely twitchy anywaz.

450X is an AMAZING bird! You practice in the sim to hover.. but then try it out in real life too... Baby steps.. :) You'll love it! :)

the only thing I recommend is adding expo to make it a little more friendly.. but dont dumb down the model any.. :)

Tony

Staff member
As stated, flying ccpm heli's is not impossible, but it is very hard. When I first got into this hobby, I did so with a collective pitch heli and I will tell you, I almost never made it past the first heli. But then the mSR came along and BOOM, there I was flying around. It's a great feeling to know you can control something in the air for the first time.

IT's hard, it takes time, but you will get there. As many others have stated to me, keep the ccpm heli's on the shelf until you are ready. Dedicate 1-2 hours a day for nothing but sim time and in just a couple weeks, you will be ready to put that 450x in the air for the first time. Make sure to use training gear when you do, and ask as many questions as you need, we are all here to help out.

Graham Lawrie

Hi Dave, if you look at my thread on settings for the Phoenix it will make it easier for you to fly and enjoy the sim more.You can alter the settings to make the sticks better for beginner control:)

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
My memory is fuzzy as to how long it took me to learn how to hover. But I am sure of one thing: I didn't learn how to hover on SIM.

Though durable, Blade M Cp x or nano cp x are NOT for beginner. Tony can attest to this.

I am not sure if jumping to flybarless collective pitch is a good idea for beginner either. These helis, by design, is slow to return to the center and, therefore, can cause novice pilot to overcompensate and crash.

On the other hand, a tamed down flybared heli (at least 450 size) will be much more friendly toward beginners. The extra weight enhances the stability of the helicopter. A Blade 450 3d with maximum collective pitched reduced to 7 degrees and a set of good training wheels will get you through this crucial stage.

The sim , believe it or not, is more beneficial toward intermediate pilots who are learning aerobatic tricks.

Youtube has lots of practice videos for beginner. When you become a 3D master later on, you will reminisce your first flying experience of your heli dragging , skipping on the payment. Good luck!

Tony

Staff member
Though durable, Blade M Cp x or nano cp x are NOT for beginner. Tony can attest to this.

OH, I think that was a shot!!! :chuckles:

In all seriousness, he is correct. Best beginner helicopters start out as something like the Blade mCX, then the mSR, then the 120sr, then the mCP-X, and then 450's. However, a lot of people don't follow that path, myself included. And a sim is the best possible way to learn how to hover. Is it real world? No. Is it going to cost you not only money but a week of your time everytime you crash trying to build that muscle memory with a real heli? YES!!! A simulator is an invaluable tool that I will push more than anything else. ALWAYS GET A SIM!!! I will have a sim before I put the RCH Heli in the air just because it's been so long since I have flown anything. The simulator WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO HOVER AND FLY!

xokia

That's to many helicopters Tony.

I think where you want to start is the mcpx. The simulator is a good starting point but IMO its way to easy. I am an amazing pilot in the simulator and a so-so pilot in real life. The MCPx is a better flight simulator. It's really good for learing oreientation. It looks like a easily damaged helicopter but it can take a serious beating. Like others have said most of the time you can pick it up slide the main gear back on an you are off and flying. When you do have to buy parts they are cheap.

MCPx can also do some 3d flying but I have found its not really good for that at least in stock form. It pretty slow in responsiveness compared to the bigger helicopters and lacks power. Once you get oreientation down the 130x IMO is the next progression. It's everything the MCPx isn't. And is a really good 3d flight trainer.

I have a MCPx, 130x and an Align 3GX DFC 450 and the most fun I have had is with the 130x so far.

stokke

You should dull down the handling in your sim to get some practice. Please see the link in my signature for how to do this. Good luck flying :D

Tony

Staff member
That's to many helicopters Tony.

I disagree. Everyone should "start" with a coax. It will get them to where they know what controls do what. Then, move to the fixed pitch heli like the mSR or 120sr for a heli that is a little more agile. Only after mastering those do I suggest moving to the mCP-X. The mCP-X is way too twitchy for a new pilot that is just getting into the hobby and will cause them to get discouraged and quit because they can't keep it in the air.

xokia

I dont think the mcpx is that twitchy JMO. Just getting the thing to hover is pretty dang simple and I'm actually surprised how stable the thing is. I'm in the other camp I guess I think its best to start with the real deal and struggle, people learn more from their mistakes then sucesses. Everything you learn will also transitions over to the next platform. I guess if you're easily frustrated then the coax helicopters are for you. I'm the opposite I'm easily bored.

The 450 3GX was my first helicopter :) The MCPx was my second because the weather was crap here and I wanted to fly indoors.

gas man

thx for all the help guys.sorry for the delay in replying i have read all the comments and really
appreciate it. been really busy the last few days and weve had bad weather so not been
thinking much about flying,

coolgabsi.... i have put the settings in my dx6i straight out the instruction booklet,85 expo inh.
what would you reccomend?

tony ... i started on coaxial mcx2 and couple of other cheap ones,then cx3 and then moved to the blade
msr and msrx.
but i have limited indoor space so ive moved up to the blade 120sr allready as i can use in light wind
outside.

graham lawrie...... thx i will look at the settings you put up for the pheonix 4.
i have have tried the 450x on their and its hard lol. and the sim def seems easier as im much better
with
the 120 sr and msr than in real life!

stokke...........thx for that will take a look tomorrow after work.

thx

dave

BOKI

gas man; The 450 are harder to fly at first & you have to use small & smooth stick movements because the are fast & sensitive ! But ask the guy's on the site it's easy to over control with to much stick movement! Just keep trying ! Some of the bigger Helicopters on Phoenix are more stable than the 450's try them! Hey The Best ! I'm not great but I'm getting better! Trex 600 & Goblin 700 they fly great if you keep the throttle down & practice just hoovering awhile every session!!

Derek

gas man; The 450 are harder to fly at first & you have to use small & smooth stick movements because the are fast & sensitive ! But ask the guy's on the site it's easy to over control with to much stick movement! Just keep trying ! Some of the bigger Helicopters on Phoenix are more stable than the 450's try them! Hey The Best ! I'm not great but I'm getting better! Trex 600 & Goblin 700 they fly great if you keep the throttle down & practice just hoovering awhile every session!!

I think this is a good idea. It's exactly what I did when I first started on the sim. I started with the bigger 600's and 700's. I thought that the stability of those heli's was very beneficial as well as the visibility of them. I would change the flying site to the "Kambah Field. There are white cement areas on the ground that I would practice hovering over. it really seemed to help. I would just find a bigger heli then find a flying field with markers, of some sort, on the ground that I could hover over.

Good luck!!!

BOKI

mountaindewdude76; Derek I got on phoenix & went to Kambah field & that's a nice flying field! I flew the Goblin 700 seems to be lots of space to fly & crash! Also I downloaded MFC Gersthopen V2 field ! It was a small runway out in the country & you could practice going down the middle of the runway & do a U turn's back to the other end! Kambah was nice! The Best !

Top Bottom