450 Blade 400 first flight problems

callsign4223

Staff member
So, I am putting the new servos on and have run into a problem. Ball links don't fit the new servo horns and the old servo horns won't fit the new servo. Am I doing something wrong, should have bought something else? Do I need to ream out the servo horn holes and let the ball links self tap? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, drill them out just slightly smaller than they need to be, put a drop of CA (thick works best for a slow dry) and screw the old balls into the new arms. Make sure since you are replacing the servos that you replace all of them on teh cyclic. That way the speed and torque are the same all the way around.

callsign4223

Staff member
I am replacing all 3. How important is the ca? All I got is thin and every time I try to use it I end up gluing my stupid fingers together!

Tony

Staff member
haha, another reason why I love the thick. It's not that important, just a little piece of mind if you drill the holes too big. If you can get the holes small enough, you shouldn't need it.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ok, see why ca is important. Got the ball links to screw in but they never stop screwing. Feel tight but not worth risking. Found a google article on how not to glue fingers together. If it works I'll let ya know what I did.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ok, for all you old hands at this don't laugh too much, I know this is small beans for your skills but I gotta start somewhere. Got all 3 servos installed and working, yeah!!! The google method of gluing was a bust but I managed to get a minimum of glue on my fingers and only got stuck to the servo horn once. Got everything put back together and discovered a good use for one of the old servos, home made bind plug, score. Bound the heli to my dx6i (instead of the one that came with the rtf kit) and checked it all out. The swash goes up when I give up collective, the swash wiggles the right direction when I give cyclic, everything's almost golden. There are two issues remaining. The swash is WAY out of level, and the linkages are at what I would consider pretty extreme angles. After getting everything put together it was obvious I should have put the ball links on the inside of servo horns, the new servos stick out a bit farther than the stock ones did. Nothing binds, but they are definitely not straight up and down like they used to be. Maybe it won't be a big deal, but if it turns into a problem I will pull them apart and put the ball links on the inside of the horns. Hopefully Tony can help me get the swash level Saturday, I think it just needs some links extended and shortened. So, that is the saga of my first major heli overhaul, hope I didn't bore y'all too much.

Tony

Staff member
We will definitely take a look at it on Saturday. I got a call from the treasurer of the club today to let me know my ID badge came in, but also let me know of the float fly Saturday as well. IT's a lot of fun to watch those birds take off the water. If you want to check it out, we can meet at the field, and you can follow me to the VA center. I don't have anything with floats on it so I won't be flying out there, but it's great fun to watch. But we will get your little 400 back in the air. No worries on that one.

callsign4223

Staff member
Are planning on flying at the field first, or just going straight to the Vet center? If your gonna fly first though, I will come on out to the field, otherwise I could just meet you at the vet center, My grandpa used to live there so I won't have any problems finding it.

Tony

Staff member
I will more than likely go to the field first so I can get in some flying. The float fly doesn't start until 1330.

Tony

Staff member
yeah, we needed this rain we are getting now, but I hope it's gone by tomorrow. There is a slight chance, but I think it's early morning. I'm flying, that's all there is to it hahaha.

Tony

Staff member
Hey, I just had some family crap slap me in my face and I'm not going to be able to leave the house all weekend. Figures that something like this was going to happen. Gotta love having children... It's still yours if you want it, I just won't be able to meet you at the field.

callsign4223

Staff member
Totally understandable. I will come by sometime, prolly still around noon if that is ok, and grab it. Will you still be able to give me a hand with the swash on the 400?

Tony

Staff member
You bet, I just can't make it to the field. Bring it and we will set it up in the garage and give it a test flight out back like we did with teh mcpx. dammit, I really want to go to the field. this sucks.

Tony

Staff member
sounds good to me. PM me your number and if something changes when I get home and talk to the wife tonight, I will text you and let you know. I'm sure you would rather meet at the field since it's closer. I will try my best. And, it's a better place to fly that 400 lol. And if I don't get some time away from my "issue", I may just explode. but let me talk to the wife and I will let you know.

callsign4223

Staff member
OHHH MY GODDDDDD. I thought the MCPx had prepared me to move to bigger helis, was I ever wrong. I probably need someone who actually knows how to fly these get this thing up in the air and check it out after I have messed with it so much. I did get it flying, and I started off just like I do with my mcpx, big mistake. I just about lost it and I don't think I have ever had that big of an adrenaline rush as when this thing started to get away from me and started tilting sideways. I did manage to get it back under control and on the ground somehow. I walked out to pick it up and bring it back to its starting spot shaking like a leaf. At that point I kept it no more than 6 inches off the ground.:) I ran it for a couple more minutes right there, and then put it away. When I put it away is when I noticed how bad my hands where shaking, I could barely get the canopy off to disconnect the battery!!! Just remembering it as I type this has my hands shaking again. I think I need a LOT more practice on the MCPx. I threw it up in the air when I was done with the 400 and it was back to normal for me, learning orientations.

Tony

Staff member
It's the size and sound that is different and what is messing with you lol. We have all been there, and I'm sure I will be there again with teh new heli that's on it's way. If you want me to look at it, all you have to do is ask. There is a really good day this week to fly, but I guess you will be out of town. but we will get it there for sure. Maybe I will have my 450 going by them (doubtful but maybe lol) and we can fly them together. I will try to get some video with both heli's in the air. Just let me know.

callsign4223

Staff member
Ya, I will have to see after I get back in town. Definitely would like you to take another look at it. It was probably just my inexperience causing it, but that thing was really unstable.

Top Bottom