FBL Gyro Blade 400 3d with a violent spin when leaving the ground

rcjimbo

Please could some one point me in the wright direction with this comfusing problem (please).
I have purchased a second hand blade 400 3d and i can not see any signs of any damage or repaires it looks good to me ?
i have a dx6i radio that i braught new and fly my mcpx with, the problem is as soon as the hellie starts to lift of the ground it goes into a violent spin in one or the other direction , i have centred the slider in rate mode and removed sevo arm and centred the servo then set it all at that, i have tried different things has mentioned on tony s videos but carnt stop it from doing it .
I have just put a new set of tail blades and blade arms on because as it leaves the ground and flurts round if you back off the tail fin bends towards the tail blades and brakes the tail fin off .

I am not an experienced flyer but i can keep my mcpx in the air well sort of anyway .
I now have the feeling that the gyro may be faulty which is the e-flite gyro standard one.
the light on the gyro is always lit up in rate mode or in head lock mode not sure if this is correct ?
I have centred the tail rotor slider in rate mode and servo arm when you select head holding mode the blades tend to pull completely across to one side i am now lost with what to try next i have done it all by the book has far as i know ?
I would be very grateful for any HELP from you as i am loosin faith in it fast .
MANY THANKS JIMBO . :grumpy:

callsign4223

Staff member
I had this problem, there were 2 things to check. The first is to make sure the belt is tight, mine was way loose and causing the tail not to keep up. The easiest way to check this is to hold the main rotor with one hand and try to spin the tail rotor with the other hand. It should be difficult to spin the tail rotor without the main rotor moving, and you should feel the belt jumping over the teeth as you do it. The other problem I heard about with the blade 400's is the tendency for them to strip the belt drive gear, if you look from the bottom up you should be able to see this gear towards the rear of the heli body.

Tony

Staff member
My vote is you need to reverse the gyro. Sounds like it's correcting the wrong way.

Tony

Staff member
That will depend on what gyro you have on the heli. Some have a "Rev" switch you can flip, others you physically have to flip over, and others need to be programmed to reverse. What gyro do you have?

rcjimbo

tony
the gyro is e-flite heading lock & standard rate gyro EFLRG 110 HL .
i did try changing the gyro on the radio and found all it did was alter the rate switch / hh the other way round .
I have now noticed ther is a switch on the gyro (this was in reverse posistion now changed to normal )
off to work now so will try it tonight and see what happens ?
many thanks for your help tony very much appriciated .

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for that matt
have tried these things and they seem to be ok .

Tony

Staff member
Let me know. Sounds like you got it kicked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

rcjimbo

TONY
many many thanks you were smack on the nose with the problem , i had a quick look this morning before i went to work and seen the top switch was set at reverse so i switched it to normal and i have tried it tonight and got it in the air for 5/6 seconds a few times .
I was over the moon with it TONY thanks again .
there is a lot of tail quiver when building up the speed but once it is air born for those few seconds it seemed quite stable .
not sure what i can do about the tail quiver but i was so chuffed i had it off the ground i can not thank you enogh cheers tone .
a much happier jimbo now .

Lee

Tail Quiver or Wag is due to the gyro gain being too high. If its only on the ground then its fine, but if it continues in the air then reduce the gyro gain in your radio a few % until it stops.

Top Bottom