250 Blade 300X my thoughts.. right out the box.

pvolcko

As a safety measure, probably want to remove the main blades and doa quick check to make sure the spindle bolts are LTed in. Don't have to break them loose, just twist enough to make sure they are secure.

EyeStation

I got it home, programmed up a slot in my DX6i, did a visual, and fastener inspection, spun the servos to feel for any glitches, pulled off the main blades and got her to bind to the DX6i without a problem.
A quick look at the servos after repowering the heli shows nearly spot on 90° at the horns. Full servo direction and end point check did not find anything reversed or binding. Tail responds properly and servo throw almost full both directions without binding. Holding the head and spinning the copter shows swash mix is correct. All frame turns give the correct gyro correction.
Low speed spool up without main blades was smooth to 25%, tail wanted to start pulling after that, so stick input to balance torque. Spool to 50%, still smooth and not as loud as I had been warned. Slight pump to 75% showed torque turn of heli and still sounding smooth. At all points of spool up steps, the tail fin was dead still, no vibrations.
Two questions and a short video of Casa Eye, my RC addiction, and the 300x intro and inspection. Sorry, not edited, so you get every "Uh" I mutter.
Q1, when doing the frame stiffener mod. It sandwiches between the plastic frame halves?
Q2, Should I move the gyro location to above the boom when doing the mod?
Thanks. This bird is nicer than I expected.
[video=youtube_share;tMCVaBcmanY]http://youtu.be/tMCVaBcmanY[/video]

pvolcko

Q1) Frame stiffener, assuming it is the same one I have, will attach to the right side frame half. It is "external", not sandwiched. You'll the screws out holding the frame halves togehter, place the standoffs in the holes, then use the supplied bolts instead of the screws to attach the standoffs. Then use the supplied screws to attach the carbon fiber stiffener to the standoffs. USe LT on the screws attaching the CF to the standoffs. I ddin't use any LT on the bolts holding the standoffs in place and have had no problems (they go through plastic too which should eliminate the need). The other frame stiffener mod kit I've seen is also a piece of CF, but it simply glues to the frame. It is far less substantial and also far less effective.

Q2) I have the 7200BX in the stock location still. It is well protected in there and, I think, less susceptible to vibrations from the tail compared to an above the boom mounting point. The frame stiffener CF piece has a hole or two in it in the right spot to feed the zip tie through to cinch it up.

Wolf714

coolgabsi did some fine work w/ my 300X. the flip of the beastX uptop, plus the align tailbox changeout are the dirty little secrets the makers of this heli don't want consumers to know.

I applied parma servo tape to bolster the stock supplied spektrum tape to hold the beast solid in place, & after tweaking some screws (slightly loosening) in box the tailbox & the landing gear, this 300X appears to be the 3rd out of 3 I have bought which actually is controllable & reliable.

I attempted installing an eflite 11- tooth pinion & that didn't go well @ all; got the 'right tilt of Doom' which the 300X is notorious for. I changed back to the stock 9-T & all seems fairly well 'back to normal'

my youtube channel is render767 & soon as able I'll post a few vids of this 300X.

after slightly amping up the throttle & pitch curves, I have a fairly high degree of basic flying now-- which before was very short lived. in the past, I had major in- flight failures/ malfunctions which were nearly impossible to handle w/ out crashing. the 2nd & last time I crashed I had the options of hitting a structure, the ground, or me -- so I took one in the arm & tho it cut me a lil bit, I survived, & as I said now after a long time of frustration & troubleshooting, I can say with sincerity if you change out the tailbox to align, if u flip the beast uptop & double- side tape the hell out of it to keep it as vibe- free as possible, the 300X is great to fly in confined airspace- which is exactly why I need it. I don't have access to big open areas alot, so the 300X makes up for airtime I otherwise can't use with my bigger 450X -- which by the way is simpy an awesome helicopter straight out the box anyway..

my opinion & experience is that Horizon made huge errors in not correctly addressing the 300X issues, while making tons of money on repairs & spare parts that to me are nothing more than ripoffs

back in '05 when I started w/ a blade CX, Horizon was awesome, friendly, helpful. now? they're collective attitude so I have personally been subjected to is: 'hey buddy you crashed it screw you & pay up or else'

not a good way to do business in any strata & in the long run? I think they'll pay dearly for that doctrine if they keep it up

I fly helicopters that are worth millions of dollars, & I know on an intermediate level how to fly r/c helis just fine. that 300X is a crash waiting to happen as soon as it's unboxed, shipped, setup, designed as it is now

& the problems seem to always be the same: bad vibes, right tilt/ tipover, very fragile in even minor crashes or 'hard landings'

both pilots & buyers beware ~

pvolcko

Gotta say, my experience has been very much the opposite.

1) I've only called HH once, for a bad control board on my nano. They replaced it without issue. Actually I called them once on the 550X too, but I figured out the issue before I got a callback in a couple hours. I've heard nothing but praise for HH's customer service, particularly in comparison to the other heli makers out there. Scorpion gets pretty high marks too. KDE too. But for heli markers, HH is pretty good from what I understand.

2) I've crashed and rebuilt my 300X dozens of times. Parts are pretty cheap (canopies aside, wish those were a little less expensive). With the exception of the frame brace upgrade and CF main blades, I find the stock setup and parts to be just fine. I've also had any number of mild to moderate crashes and find the heli, with a frame brace upgrade, to be pretty sturdy. I've found the tail in particular is very robust. Boom takes a good hit without bending. And even a slight bend is entirely flyable given the belt drive on it. Tail blade hits don't strip anything out. Plastic holds up very well to impacts. Keep the screws a touch loose and it keeps vibes in check.

3) Power. I'm not throwing smack, but I'm starting to get into 3D (tic tocs, rainbows, funnels, hurricanes, piro flips). I find the stock power to be adequate to the task and a good training aid. Tail is stable and precise enough through maneuvers for my flying skill level. I only see blow out if I get it moving in a left bank crazy fast and then hit hard collective, toward the end of a battery (power sag).

This is subjective and dependent on what you are trying to do with it, of course, but for me this has been an indispensable heli in my learning process.

xokia

^^^^ I agree with the above post.

I had 2 issues with my 300x that werent my fault.
Tail servo dies on second flight -> replaced by HH no hassle
broken main shaft in flight, heli was a total loss -> everything replaced by HH no hassle.

The 300x does have some issue but has for me been indespensible at transitioning up the learning curve of 3D flight.
Its such a cheap heli that crashes dont hurt as bad so you find yourself pushing what you know how to do.

cn63bug

Just got my first 300x yesterday. Found a guy that was local that had one for sale. It was brand new, never out of the box. He was asking 175 for it and I couldn't pass it up. We'll see how it performs. I don't do any 3D right now, so I'm leaving it stock for now. Will look into the frame brace though.

Top Bottom