General Beef up landing gear

Loopy

Hi all

I have a new HZ Carbon Cub and realty like it. I've flown it maybe 8-10 times and no broken props or real crashes!!!! :chickendance:My landings are sometimes a bit rough and the landing gear has a propensity to bend a bit. :culpability:The tail wheel also is way too flexible. Any suggestions for beefing up the LG and tail wheel?

Geena

Staff member
Some of the airplane guys I fly with have experimented with reinforcing their landing gear, and it usually results in ripping the landing gear out of the plane. A couple of the guys who do fly cubs, have put a tensioning spring between the struts, to help absorb the shock of a hard landing. That seems to work ok. If one of them comes out to the field with their cub this weekend, I`ll try to get a photo for you.

RandyDSok

I was going to echo what Geena said but with an example of sorts...

The 3D Hobby Shop 40" Edge I have ( a nice but discontinued product ) had wire LG that were made that way on purpose to help absorb the shock of a harder landing so the rest of the airframe wasn't as easily damaged. During their testing and example flights, they showed it and then just straightened the gear back out and took off again... over and over. If they sell replacement gear, grab one or a couple for backup just in case, but I suspect you'll be fine.

And then there's the smart-alec saying... ( just to lighten the subject )

If it hurts... don't do it :D

Loopy

I was going to echo what Geena said but with an example of sorts...

The 3D Hobby Shop 40" Edge I have ( a nice but discontinued product ) had wire LG that were made that way on purpose to help absorb the shock of a harder landing so the rest of the airframe wasn't as easily damaged. During their testing and example flights, they showed it and then just straightened the gear back out and took off again... over and over. If they sell replacement gear, grab one or a couple for backup just in case, but I suspect you'll be fine.

And then there's the smart-alec saying... ( just to lighten the subject )

If it hurts... don't do it :D
And to repeat an oft quoted saying (if it don't kill ya it makes ya stronger):chairshot:

Top Bottom