450 bearings

RC MAN

Hey Sparse,
Why in the word would ya want a ceramic bearing anyways, They cost a bundle of money, Full ceramics anyway, Hybrid ceramics are a bit cheaper, but the ceramic balls wont take a pounding without chipping, what that means is, if it chips, (crash and bend the mainshaft) you have a ceramic chip flying around inside your bearing, you wont notice it till it chips some more bearing balls, than they lockup, if ya have 1 on your mainshaft, it means disaster, I had it happen to me, and I am the CRAZY dude here, I was testing my head speed on the bench, in my cage, (I test all my hi speed helis in a cage) before there taken out. The rotor was at 4900rpms, tail at 21000, and the bearings just stopped dead, twisted the mainshaft, ripped the blades off, and they went flying (against my safety fence around the heli) bent the ti framing, sliced off the skids,(had the skids mounted to a cement block) and the rest was a bent up piece of what was a really nice heli. (Goblin)

I myself, will never use one again on a machine that takes side thrusts so hard, be it a rc F1 car, or a rc heli, sure, the ceramics handle speed, and last longer, but when they go, its GAME OVER.
Use a good quality bearing, STEEL, and dont go cheap, skf or :):):).
Germans are known for making bearings, If ya can find a company selling in the U.S. , than get them.
( We didnt bomb the German bearing factorys for nothing ya know. WW2)

I live in Germany, and know that ceramics and helis dont mix to well, If ya wanna do your heli a favor, use the ceramic bearings in your motor.
If ya don't believe me, than just take a ceramic spoon from your Grandmother, and hit it with a hammer, (use safety goggles and a long arm shirt)
Than hit a normal spoon with the same force, What happens? Grandma screams at ya, and the ceramic spoon is in a Million pieces, sharp pieces,
The stainless spoon just got bent up a bit.
Ja get ma drift man, I don't want anybody getting hurt in our Challenging Sport, Helis aint for everybody, and we dont need anymore casualties.

Your RCHELP Friend
Frank

Lee

Boca bearings are the most common place people by there bearings from for helis.

Dirk

Frank, that is probably one of the best described "experiments" I've ever read about. You really like to test components to the point of failure. LOL

RC MAN

Frank, that is probably one of the best described "experiments" I've ever read about. You really like to test components to the point of failure. LOL

I have to Dirk, thats my job, I cant have my customers falling out of the sky, or injuring others, If I find something wrong, I repair and do a failure assessment,
and build it so it wont happen again. Ive twisted and bent mainshafts while in fff, thats not a very nice thing to experience, The helis I build are tough, take a crash,
and in a few min. in the air again, Just the way I do business, I am not trying to sell stuff here either Tony (LOL) Just giving my advice about the adventures Ive encountered.

Frank
ps, The shipping would be out of this world anyway.

Top Bottom