General Battery Weight

RMB677

Just curious as to how many of you balance the weights of your batteries. I've 3 3S batteries all having different weights with about a 60 gram difference between the lightest and heaviest. I've added lead to the light ones to match the heaviest. My thinking is that to maintain a constant CG the weights need to be equal since the batteries don't sit directly under the CG. On my co-ax the batteries do sit in line with the CG so it should not matter.

Tony

Staff member
You are correct, the batteries need to be the same weight. 60g is a lot, the motors in 3 of my planes weigh 60g's lol.

RMB677

I was surprised when I first got the HBK4. The E-sky 1500mAh that came with it weighed 115g, The spare that I bought with the package, also E-sky 1500mAh was 160g and the Turnigy 2200 mAh I later bought 185g. I guessing that the quality of the battery has a lot to do with the weight. Of course they put the cheapest in with the original package. The only dimensional difference of any note is in the thickness of the battery. With the thicker battery I had to put a shim at the back of the battery holder to clear the locking screw on the collar that locks the main gear to the shaft. It had another advantage in that it moved the CG slightly forward giving better balance.

Top Bottom