Misc Battery output

Stambo

Unless you have a pro style crimper stick to solder. Otherwise you are courting disaster. I see this regularly in automotive applications.
At least a car won't "fall out of the sky" if something goes wrong.
I have some motors on my quad that were stated at 336 watts from a Chinese company however I doubt very much that this is true. Stated current draw is 18a but working from 336w I thought it would be more so I put 30a esc. When I measured it with my 4s batteries it didn't even get to 18a so I think the stated watt rating is a little optimistic to say the least.

Stambo

I agree with what the other guys have said, use an ammeter and measure your current draw.
An inductive clamp type is best so you don't have to break in to any wires.
You can either check at one motor on the supply wires to the esc to get individual current per motor or at the battery leads to give total.
Remember you will only get what the battery can give you so if the battery is not up to the task your results will be flawed.

Tasajara

I did a little check on my F550 today to see the max amp draw.
It was even less than I thought.

NOTE: these are static values in flight could be less

Setup: DJI 920Kv motor
Graupner 10x5e props
3s 4000mAh 30c Gens Ace battery

This is the total amp draw at WOT 50.5 amps @ 12.49v so 8.41 amps per motor.
current.jpg

This is the total Wattage 601.4 @12.49v so just 100 watts per motor @ WOT and more like 50 or less in a hover
Wattage.jpg

current.jpg

Wattage.jpg

Last edited:

RandyDSok

Pro style crimper stick to solder? Never heard of that but I do have a very nice crimper for the power poles.

There are specialized crimpers made for APP's that make the difference between getting a good crimp on one and a poor one... If you aren't using a quality crimper, then soldering is a better solution.

WyDiablo

Well I am suppose to have the best crimper made. Its the same style and make I used when I was at Nasa. The reason that connection came loose was because I crimped it in the wrong slot.

Top Bottom