General Basic Tool Kit for 450 Build / maintenance

Hi Guys,
Basically as it says can some recommend a good basic tool kit ( Hex drivers /screwdriver / ball pliers etc )for a build or maintaining your
helicopter & where to get it.
Thanks
John

murankar

Staff member
The only kit I have experience with is the 24 piece exi kit from xheli/hobbypartz.com

The kit is ok and will do the job. You will need to really watch how you handle the 1.5mm hex drivers, they round off somewhat easy.

Tools to look for(based on a 450 build)
Hex drivers
2x 1.5mm
1x 2mm (my 450 I need 2 2mm for the feathering shaft)
1x 2.5mm (this is for the motor possibly)

Nut drivers
I can't remember the sizes right off hand. There are two one for the main blade grips and one smaller one for anything else.

Pliers
needle nose
Ball link
Side cutters

Screw drivers (cross tip)

Other tools
Pitch gauge
Ball link wrench
Digital calipers

If I forgot something someone will add it in.

Lee

If you have an iPhone, you can use it as a pitch gauge. Get a free bubble leveller app from iTunes and you can use it by placing it across the two frame halfs to get 0º pitch then balance it on the blade grip to get the correct pitch ( as long as you have a flat surface to the grip.)
Good quality Hex wrenches (hardened tip)
Swash leveller to get perfectly flat swash ( you can use the zip tie trick, but its better and easier with the level)

I bought one of those all in one kits and they have done well. As Matthias said, the 1.5mm hex does get wore. Mine still work cause as they got wore, i just ground them down the the clean part.

Westy

LEGEND
Hey there.... good to hear your intentions of high maintenance and repair.

I tried some cheaper tools .... and unfortunately they just did not measure up.

I invested in a set of Align long depth hex screws drivers. I ended up buying another set to hold the feathering shaft screws etc ....

Everything else I got from Hobby king and they have been excellent. - even thread locker and bearing locker.... it is so cheap and the low to medium hold strength is best (I have found from experience of snapping the screws)

Also a little Butane torch comes in very very handy for shrinking heat shrink and also warming up and releasing thread locker.

Here is a list of the stuff and the links I have bought and found to be great.

ALIGN Hex Driver Kit = These are a little different to mine as I got the inter-changeable set.... but would buy these as I got sick of changing the tips every few minutes to a different size.

Straight 5mm Ball Pliers

Low STrength Thread Locker

Epoxy Glue

CA GLUE

TAchometer

Vernier Calipers

digital FBL pitch gauge

Swash Leveling 5mm for 450 heli

Multi Hex Driver Tools

REamer

Diamond Needle Files

Pinion Removal Tool

Hard Tweezer Set

BAll End REamer

Demag mag Tool

Long Nose PLiers

Hands Free Tool Holder

BAll Turning Tool

wire cutters and stripp

soldering station US VERSION

DERMEL

Blade BAlancer

Well that is a small llist .... I have .... you may have to find a 500 and 600/700 swash leveling tool on the site ..... I did not have time .... good luck

Westy

LEGEND
Haha .... got everything I need..... that is only half the list LOL ....... Nothing worse than needing something and not having it .... those are the basic tools I believe needed to achieve the goal of easy assembly/maintenance of your pride and joy!!! you HELI!

you should see my SNAP ON tool kit for working on cars and trucks.... ..... $25,000 worth and some !

Tony

Staff member
Lots of chinese stuff in those links lol. Totally agree on a GOOD set of drivers. I have the Align HOT00002 set and love it. You may need a driver that is smaller than the 1.5mm though for the grub screws on the 450. Don't know the size though, but an Align kit will come with teh allen drivers. cheap ones, but they will work to get you by. Don't waste your time on a cheap heli kit, it's just not worth it in the long run.

Tony

Staff member
Tightening is not the issue that I have needed that wrench. Taking the bolt out when taking the head apart is when I needed it lol. You will see in one of my next video upload on the RCH Heli just what I had to do. Sucks that I have the wrench now but didn't then...

Westy

LEGEND
Lots of chinese stuff in those links lol. Totally agree on a GOOD set of drivers. I have the Align HOT00002 set and love it. You may need a driver that is smaller than the 1.5mm though for the grub screws on the 450. Don't know the size though, but an Align kit will come with teh allen drivers. cheap ones, but they will work to get you by. Don't waste your time on a cheap heli kit, it's just not worth it in the long run.

yes .... the chinaman has lots of my dollars as it is way too expensive to buy this stuff locally .... and I don't mind waiting 12 - 20 days.... that is how is it here, If you want to pay through the nose and get is now ... goto the LHS if now to to HobbyKing! lol.

but the hard worked tools like hte hex drivers, go for really good ones... or you will either round of the screws or grub screws or snap the tool on the real tight ones. It is like mechanical tools I have, "Snap-On" all the way as I know what it feels like to break a cheaper wrench 200 miles out in the bush while working on logging equipment and no one or nothing is near to hear you scream with frustration...... Lucky my service truck had steel and a gas cutting set so I could make my own tool to complete the mission. But it would have been a day lost heading out for a replacement if I had not used my head to solve my Cheap tool issue.

That has always stuck in my head and shall go with me to the grave Lol

Westy

LEGEND
Tightening is not the issue that I have needed that wrench. Taking the bolt out when taking the head apart is when I needed it lol. You will see in one of my next video upload on the RCH Heli just what I had to do. Sucks that I have the wrench now but didn't then...

Lol I just use long lose pliers to hold the nut .... but I do have all the 1/4 drive deep tube sockets and ratchet if needed ... but never have.

Westy

LEGEND
Haha ..... not that expensive really.

The only thing I missed was the feathering shaft locking tool.

Westy

LEGEND
It is about $153 bucks for all of that ... ad another 8 bucks for a feathering shaft wrench to do all sizes and you have everything you will need to do all comprehensive work on most models.

concept30

wow awesome list, i bought two sets of hex tools for my feathering shaft screws for the blade grips, the set works great

Top Bottom