General Auto rotations

Hey guys , I've just been watching some YouTube vids and autos seem pretty simple and straight forward? Just hit throttle hold and as she is just about to land flair up a little and hey presto , am I right here and what should I be watching out for ? Thanks guys

Tony

Staff member
There is quite a bit more to it than that. First off is getting the negative pitch just right to keep your head speed up. Next is the approach. Then there is the flair where you have to stop the helicopter in teh air then land it all before you run out of head speed. Your best bet is to practice this on teh simulator first, and then on your real helicopter, start with baby autos from about 5' up MAX. Once you have those, then you can get into cheater autos where you put about 30% power into your throttle hold. This will allow you to keep more head speed and have a longer time to flair. Hope this helps.

Slobberdog

Yeah but the smaller the heli the less inertia the blades will have and the quicker you will have to get it down, also you will have to keep the disk speed going by having less pitch on the blades as the heli comes down, so that means it comes down with speed, and as you say you need to flair at the correct time or its splats time,

Personally I hope I don't have the need for trying this manoeuvre for quite some time,

Derek

Well, the concept of an autorotation is very simple and direct. Flip the Throttle Hold switch, point the nose down a bit (preferably into the wind), apply negative collective (and steer the helicopter around with the cyclic and rudder), then flare with positive collective as you approach the ground.

However, in the "panic of the moment" there are a lot of things that can change. The best way to introduce yourself to autorotations is to do them on a simulator. I practice a few auto's each and every time I am on the simulator. Upright auto's, I can do them pretty well and pretty consistent. It's just like any other aspect of a helicopter flight...practice...practice...practice.

Great guys thanks for all your imput , I wasn't talking about (to start with) high Autos , I've seen guys showing how to Autos from like 2 feet to get the feel , from 2 feet hit the throttle hold and flair up just before she touches down?

Derek

Yeah, sure! 2 foot auto's! That's where it starts! This will give you the feel of your collective without being too high up. Just take your time and move on as you feel comfortable. I know quite a few people that will end their routine with a two-3 foot auto. Good luck buddy!

GREAT! I just did a collection of Autos only from about 2feet or so but it gave me an introduction and they look really cool! I'm progressing every day and am very happy that my T-Rex is still in 1 piece and flying great , I'm gonna hopefully get some video footage tomorrow , it's getting kinda windy out there now!:cheerful::coffee:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, those low autos are called "Baby Auto's". Best way to learn how the heli is going to react when you hit that switch. It's going to move to the right every time as I'm sure you have noticed. Keep it up, they only get more impressive from here.

Ha ha , love it , baby Autos lol , and yeeh I noticed it was wanting to drift right , every day I'm improving and getting closer to the Dominator , I will be wanting to set the 3gx up in a couple of weeks and that's a hole different story , but I'm working towards the goal of getting the Dominator in the air but all in good time :eagerness:

I will do Tony , and u have helped massively already dude , if it wasn't for u guys I wouldn't have even got the T-Rex off the ground , big love to u guys thanks

Yeeh I'm gonna keep practicing the baby autos and probly land like that all the time , 1 step at a time! That's where I'm at , and they look so cool aswell

Top Bottom