FBL Gyro AR7200BX Setup Problem

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I'm also having problem with my servo links on my 500 FBL. My 500 came with no manual so I tried using Align manual but theirs servo links and swash plate links numbers don't work. I've been trying different numbers on the servo/swash plate links but no luck yet. Can anyone throw some combination numbers from center to center on the servo links and the swash plate links that I can use as a reference? I should of took some measurement down before I started switching parts around. I will no better next time.

Heliman450

Well I'm also having problem with my servo links on my 500 FBL. My 500 came with no manual so I tried using Align manual but theirs servo links and swash plate links numbers don't work. I've been trying different numbers on the servo/swash plate links but no luck yet. Can anyone throw some combination numbers from center to center on the servo links and the swash plate links that I can use as a reference? I should of took some measurement down before I started switching parts around. I will no better next time.

Hi D.O.G., I use a digital calliper to measure the lengths. One of my most useful purchases since starting seriously last year.

Do you have a swashplate levelling tool? If so, then it's quite easy to do the measurement. Take the links off, level the servo arms, place the levelling tool under the swashplate and measure either top to bottom of the balls or centre to centre if you prefer. That should bring you very close to the actual size, possibly with no further changes.

If you don't have the tools, then with the links disconnected and the swashplate sliding freely, lift it until the washout arms come level and using some wood or stiff cardboard folded up support the swashplate in this position. Then again with the servo arms level offer up the links until they are the closest you can get them to correct or using your best metal rule with fine increments (mm, 1/16 or 1/32) measure them. Do the same thing for the top links with the blades held horizontal (as close to zero degrees). Again, since I bought a digital pitch gauge this is very easy. You probably need a second pair of hands to hold the blade steady during the measurement.

I'm not planning to go to my workshop today but I could take a couple of photos to help.

Finally, of course, (if you have a gyro with good clear instructions LoL) you need to do the setup using your newly sized links and fine tune accordingly.

P.S. What heli is it? Maybe there's a manual in the Internet to download.

Last edited:

trainrider06

Maybe just try setting up the swash/servo arms, see what pitch is showing during setup, and raise lower swash as needed to get 0 pitch?

Heliman450

Maybe just try setting up the swash/servo arms, see what pitch is showing during setup, and raise lower swash as needed to get 0 pitch?

That's effectively what I did and then measured the links for future reference. D.O.G. doesn't say if he's been having any problems similar to mine. I suppose it depends how well written the gyro instructions are. In my case it was the marriage of two products from different manufacturers.

Sounds a bit like most marriages to me LoL!

trainrider06

That's effectively what I did and then measured the links for future reference. D.O.G. doesn't say if he's been having any problems similar to mine. I suppose it depends how well written the gyro instructions are. In my case it was the marriage of two products from different manufacturers.

Sounds a bit like most marriages to me LoL!

Haha ain't that the truth! :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
My problem is on the 500 that the blue light @ 6 degrees comes on early on the AR. Right around 3.8 degrees. My servos are at 90 degrees/ swash plate is level and my blade arms are at 0 degrees on letter "G" I still get 6 degrees and 12+/- on the pitch when I'm done setting up, just the light is early. My Tarot 450 DFC /Gaui X3 has the AR and the blue light comes on right around 6 degrees. The light coming on early on the 500 is that OK or do I have to adjust the linkages to get my numbers closer? Hope this make sense. I appreciate the help.

Heliman450

My problem is on the 500 that the blue light @ 6 degrees comes on early on the AR. Right around 3.8 degrees. My servos are at 90 degrees/ swash plate is level and my blade arms are at 0 degrees on letter "G" I still get 6 degrees and 12+/- on the pitch when I'm done setting up, just the light is early. My Tarot 450 DFC /Gaui X3 has the AR and the blue light comes on right around 6 degrees. The light coming on early on the 500 is that OK or do I have to adjust the linkages to get my numbers closer? Hope this make sense. I appreciate the help.

Hi D.O.G., you need to do a pitch check after completing the setup and carrying out the binding. Check 0%, 50% and 100% stick positions. If you get -12.0, 0.0 and +12.0 there is no problem.

During the setup the AR7200BX is "wanting" to see that all is well by showing the solid blue indication. If it doesn't show solid blue when you get to the +6.0 in Menu Point J, then you need to make the adjustments.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yes sir Heliman450. At 0%, 50% and 100% all the #'s jive. The blue light coming on early just made me wonder. If there is no problem then I can try my 500 out in a few hours. It's just strange that the other two birds , the light is around 6 degrees and on the 500 it's early. So as long that I have a blue light @ 6 degrees it all good your saying? Man thanks. I spent one day just adjusting linkages trying to get closer to 6 degree and I was pulling my hair out. I 'm glad to here that's there is no problem. Pics and video this weekend!

Heliman450

Yes sir Heliman450. At 0%, 50% and 100% all the #'s jive. The blue light coming on early just made me wonder. If there is no problem then I can try my 500 out in a few hours. It's just strange that the other two birds , the light is around 6 degrees and on the 500 it's early. So as long that I have a blue light @ 6 degrees it all good your saying? Man thanks. I spent one day just adjusting linkages trying to get closer to 6 degree and I was pulling my hair out. I 'm glad to here that's there is no problem. Pics and video this weekend!

Great! Go for it and be careful out there!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:poidh:This will be the first time I will have all three helis PB130015.jpg working at the same time :hmmm:. Must be my lucky day, Friday the 13th. LOL Practice flights for each birds today so I can be ready for the weekend.

PB130015.jpg

Heliman450

Don't forget to measure the servo links and keep the results for future reference. Hey, why not publish them here to help others who want to know the best size to use as a starting point.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Will do that after the test flight to make sure everything goes well. I don't want to give out bogus 411.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well I did get the chance to burn up one battery yesterday on the 500 just to see if anything falls off, wobbles or shakes and the heli was smooth as butter :cool1:. I did take a video of the 500 but I didn't have the camera pointing in the right direction:hmmm:. I made a nice video of trees/grass and the sky but no heli :cussing: Today will be a different story! I will have the camera adjusted right this time so the heli can be seen. LOL I'm real happy with the 500 so far and cant wait to get her in the air again today. Thanks you everyone for your help :wave:.

Heliman450

Well I did get the chance to burn up one battery yesterday on the 500 just to see if anything falls off, wobbles or shakes and the heli was smooth as butter :cool1:. I did take a video of the 500 but I didn't have the camera pointing in the right direction:hmmm:. I made a nice video of trees/grass and the sky but no heli :cussing: Today will be a different story! I will have the camera adjusted right this time so the heli can be seen. LOL I'm real happy with the 500 so far and cant wait to get her in the air again today. Thanks you everyone for your help :wave:.

Sounds great to me. Well done! I've also had a few issues regarding taking video footage of events. I believe what you're saying without a video LoL. Now, if you said that you flew for 30 minutes, did 100 loops and 200 rolls maybe I'd say show me the video evidence that you really did that. Keep it up and I look forward to seeing your video of trees, blue sky etc.

Bye now!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Here you go! :poidh: One video with a heli in it this time. :tongue: This is after 30 min. flight time, 100 loops and 200 rolls later. :hmmm: Just kidding. Need to practice with the camera and the heli. PB140016 - YouTube

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yeah the video stinks! The camera is about 10 yrs old. I have two brand new action cameras waiting to be used. The only thing is that I bought one for my self about a month ago and at the same time I got one for the wife. Hers is for Xmas and If I break mine out she will know that I got her one also. I'll try cleaning up the old camera and try another video but just like me, we are just getting oooold.

Heliman450

Hi D.O.G., looked great to me, well done. Only wish that it was possible to get in closer to have the helis more visible (not just your video). I know how difficult it is to achieve it.

I'd love to have a back yard like yours to practice in!

Hope your good lady doesn't read this before Xmas and spoil her present :chuckles:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nah, she good about staying out of my business and me staying out of her business. She probably forgot about the camera already. I'll just wait til Xmas for recording videos or I'll try again after cleaning the lens and adjust the camera to view the heli closer. I was paying more attention to the heli then the view of the camera. Practice, practice and more practice on learning basic 101 video recording. and heli flying. LOL

Heliman450

Nah, she good about staying out of my business and me staying out of her business. She probably forgot about the camera already. I'll just wait til Xmas for recording videos or I'll try again after cleaning the lens and adjust the camera to view the heli closer. I was paying more attention to the heli then the view of the camera. Practice, practice and more practice on learning basic 101 video recording. and heli flying. LOL

I set up my video camera to one side on a tripod and then using a wide angle lens try to focus in where I want to keep the heli. This isn't ideal and my Blade 450X refuses to stay mechanically sound for long enough to remain under control. I've stripped the head three times and rebuilt it. I'm now trying to work with two separate rotor heads and change them over when the failure occurs. It's a pain but I'm sure I'll get there. The problem is that the feather shaft bolts come loose. I think it stems from the replacements coming in a plastic bag with oil in it. My next attempt will involve using a solvent to degrease the shaft inside and outside with a solvent. Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom