Another Crash! Had 30 plus flights on this bird. Tail gave out while inverted.

Derek

OH NO!!!!!!!!!! That was a spectacular flight you had going there!!! What a bummer!!! How bad is the damage?

WOW!!! You had loops and rolls and inverted and flips. That was really going well. I'm sorry to see it go down, Ken! I hope you can get it repaired inexpensively.

Ken Jackson

Still not sure what happened, no physical evidence of what may have happened. One ball link at the tail rotor servo was pushed on the ball link too far. Other then that I can not find anything wrong with the tail. Only damage in the front of the heli was 2 stripped servo gears. Shafts are both OK, frame and are fine.

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah my brand new Mavrikk blades are destroyed.

Man I loved those blades.
Ken

Derek

that's odd that there isn't an obvious reason why the tail went out. The flight was going very very well.

I hope you can get it sorted out, Ken!!!

Ken Jackson

That was a good flight there...did tail go out on ya? What happen to ya SL?

This gyro is a 3GX so no SL. It wouldn't have helped in this situation anyway. Not having a chance to really try the IKON I have to say I am still dedicated to the 3GX. Look at any of my videos especially the ones with the reverse loop. I totally trust the 3GX why would I switch what works and what I trust.

I had gotten my HK500 with the IKON in the air finally. Have had all sorts of problems with the HK500 torque tube tail. Just my opinion I would not recommend anything by HK it is just too cheap. My EXI was a clone but didn't have all the issues this piece has had. Maybe their belt drive stuff is OK but they don't make a good torque tube set up. Anyway I was in a hover test and the tail and Gyro were holding better than ever and I actually thought I might actually be able to fly this thing after months of looking at it. Well I did a pirouette, no problem, tried it a second time and the tail just spun out. Crashed into the back of my pickup truck. Wish I had that one on film.

I have come into some financial difficulties so I will more then likely sell the IKON and cut my losses by not fixing the HK. I will strip the parts on it to keep my TRex in the air. Has a brand new Turnigy 1600 KV motor with matching 80 amp ESC so those will be backups for my Scorpion motor. I will not put another nickle into the HK kit I bought and as I said before I wouldn't recommend it as a suitable clone. The torque tube is unique enough that some Align parts won't fit on it. Shame on you Hobby King.

If anyone has any problem with HK service I have a contact number for the US customer support team and they don't think much of the online support team. They were conciensus and followed up on a battery shipment problem I had. They said if I ever buy from HK again and have any issues at all to contact them and bypass the online BS support line.

Ken

Lee

Is the heli Belt drive Ken? Maybe a static discharge freaked out the tail servo/gyro. Just a guess.

Ken Jackson

No torque tube. Other then the bent tail boom there is no damage to the tail. Both gear sets are fine. Slider and control arm are fine. The only explanation I hsve at this point is gyro failure. I hate tonsay that because the 3GX on this bird has performed flawlessly. The only thing I hadn't done was upgrade the firmware to 3.1.

But there is no way I could do my reverse loops with a glitchy tail, and like I said I trust the 3GX.

The servo is relatively new, maybe 30 flights and the connector pins were seated as they should be.

Ken

john2012

Banned
Well not much damage ken,that's good, I have found that some of my links also go on to far even with my fingers. Hope your doing repairs are done nice flight.

Ken Jackson

That sure is what it looked like on the video, but this tail has always been solid. this is the 2nd time I have crashed because the tail failed when inverted. The only part I had to replace on the tail was the boom. I could have reused the torque tube but put a new one on anyway.

At this point the only other logical explanation is not enough current flow to the servos? ESC I have on it is only a 2.5 A SBEC. Been that way for quite a while but I have the other just laying around since I am not going to waste another nickle on the Hobby King POS I bought. I am going to put an 85 ESC on it with a 5A SBEC to make sure its not a power issue. Like I said the last time this happened I was inverted and driving all 4 servos pretty hard.

Ken

pvolcko

Could be that. Especially if you're running lowish voltage (5.5-6v). Though, did you have any control at all once it started spinning? Did you have collective control anymore? It sounded like it was still under power going in. In a brownout I would have expected the 3GX to reset and resulting loss of signal to the ESC (thus go to no power automatically). If the brownout didn't cause full loss/reset of Rx, then the servos should have come back to life shortly after the power drain was done.

Can the tail slider control arms (to the tail blade holders) hyperextend on that? Maybe they somehow got locked against themselves due to a combination of full pitch, high torque load, and the direction of tail movement helping the arms to fold over to hyperextension and lock? One of my helis can do that, but I make sure to back the tail endpoints off enough to keep it away from that region of movement.

Ken Jackson

Could be that. Especially if you're running lowish voltage (5.5-6v). Though, did you have any control at all once it started spinning? Did you have collective control anymore? It sounded like it was still under power going in. In a brownout I would have expected the 3GX to reset and resulting loss of signal to the ESC (thus go to no power automatically). If the brownout didn't cause full loss/reset of Rx, then the servos should have come back to life shortly after the power drain was done.

Can the tail slider control arms (to the tail blade holders) hyperextend on that? Maybe they somehow got locked against themselves due to a combination of full pitch, high torque load, and the direction of tail movement helping the arms to fold over to hyperextension and lock? One of my helis can do that, but I make sure to back the tail endpoints off enough to keep it away from that region of movement.

I'll look at that, thanks.

Top Bottom