An Americano My Way

Tony

Staff member
There is a coffee drink that is called an Americano. It's a shot of espresso, with hot water to make a cup of coffee. Well, I have an even better cup. It's almost like the Americano, but you pull the shot the entire duration of the cup, no hot water. By over pulling the shot, it does make the cup bitter, but I use sugar in my coffee, so it's all good.

If you guys are looking for a great cup, get yourself some Cafe' Verona grounds and an espresso machine. You will have the best cup of coffee of your life.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Sounds delish! Just having my venana blend this morning lol good then going shopping for fixens for spagetti and meataballs. Lol. Even got home grown tomatoes! Hmmm ought to go good after coffee!

RandyDSok

I'm now on my second cup of coffee ( Black Silk ) since I started working on learning a new CMS for my work website... Had to start early ( for a Sunday ) around 8am-ish so it doesn't look like I'm getting a weekend this go around...

breeze...

Not sure if you are making your own sauce for the spagetti or not... but what I'm going to suggest doesn't matter because you can also use this to "fix up" a store bought jar just as easily.

If you don't already have it, and most people don't, get some Anise or Star Anise ( ground ) and add just a little bit to the sauce. Be aware that Star Anise is about 4 to 8 times stronger than just ground Anise seed... I'll use the more common Anise seed in the measurement examples I give, so take that into acccount.

For 32oz jar of sauce, add about one half of a teaspoon ( the smaller spoon btw ) of ground Anise seed.... but do it in stages so you don't over use it for your own taste, start with about 1/8 of a tsp and work up. The secret is that in the end you don't want to really taste the Anise, you are only using it to enhance the natural flavors the sauce already has. You should note that as you add, stir it and let it simmer a bit and taste it to see if it is about right. After you start getting enough in it, the flavor will deepen and get richer flavored. If you start to over do it... you will start to taste the liquorice flavor which is not what you want in the end ( though if you do it gradually as I said, it shouldn't be much )

I also add crushed red pepper flakes to mine... probably in about the same amount but everyone differs so much on heat... just use what you are accustom to if any at all.

There are several other tricks to doctoring up a store bought jar... but those two are my favorite that I do no matter what and I always get rave reviews if I made it from scratch or doctored a jar up.

Randy

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
You know how we make it? I remove dried spaghetti from package, place in boiling water. Brown beef, add sauce. Mix together and eat. If it's a special day, we have garlic bread lmao. we are pretty simple around here.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You know how we make it? I remove dried spaghetti from package, place in boiling water. Brown beef, add sauce. Mix together and eat. If it's a special day, we have garlic bread lmao. we are pretty simple around here.

Now Tony, thats the southern way!!! LOL IMAO!!! I make it the ITALIAN WAY!!! Nice meat sause with ITALIAN Sausage, Meatballs and meat!! No messing around hear!! The Real Stuff. Just Like MOMA Makes!! LOL

Tony

Staff member
Nah, the southern way is to say screw spaghetti and grill a steak. But, we are in a burn ban here, and have been for a while, so no grilling...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
ya i here you i did! But seariously Sause with ground beef in it is called Sourthern style sause! You don't have A padio to grill on? IMAO! LOL

Tony

Staff member
I broil nothing lol. I cook with fire. And yes, I have a patio to grill on, but the burn ban is "No Open Flames". So, that takes grilling out of the equation. I could cook with my gas grill, but my burners need cleaned.

Tony

Staff member
haha, that may be why it's clogged up. Nah, I did a lot of grillin' last year and it clogged up the holes in the burner. Just needs cleaned.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
i could not live with out my grill. nothing like a thick jucey serline steak on the grill! lol with coffee of course before you grill. a fine wine or beer after you grill with your meal!!!! lol

RandyDSok

While I do prefer to make my own sauce when possible, most of the time I don't have the time or money to do it right so...

The way I see it... there is no reason to not doctor up a jar of sauce if only just a little bit... It only takes a moment to add additional spices. Still, I'd prefer to saute some onions and garlic, add in some tomato paste followed by browning off some meat, usually a mix of hamburger and mild Italian with the mix being dependant on who I'm going to share it with and the budget. The browned meat is then drained and added to the rest of the sauce.

Now I have only one question... is it supper time yet LOL

Randy

Tony

Staff member
Whiskey is where it's at. I can't drink that piss water people call beer. And wine is just nasty. If I want grape juice, I will drink grape juice.

Whirlybird

I use my mama's recipe for paste sauce, she varied it from time to time . . . beef . . . chicken . . . spare ribs . . . always had some sort of meat in it. My favorite is with meatballs and braccioli (a rolled stuffed steak) . . . Italian sausage comes in second :)

Whirlybird

Whiskey is where it's at. I can't drink that piss water people call beer. And wine is just nasty. If I want grape juice, I will drink grape juice.

Got a prescription from my doctor to drink glass of wine a day for a healthy heart :)

Nothing like grape juice with a kick :alcoholic:

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Well the sause turned out excellent! Everyone liked it. Including mom! I'm still stuffed from yesterday! Lol. And, Tony, I find that a good scotch wiskey is what I prefer when im in the mood! Lol

Top Bottom