Am I Pushing My Routers Too Hard?

RandyDSok

Tony...

Just thought of something concerning PoE stuff that we briefly talked about earlier this morning.

I mentioned that ethernet uses only 2 pair of wires ( 4 wires )... that's true for 10base-t and 100base-t.... but 1000base-t ( gigabit ) actually uses the full 4 pairs of wires. This would then sound like that you couldn't use PoE on a Gb ethernet connection but they can co-exist also since they are using different frequencies for data and power... ie phantom power methods so they don't interfere with each other.

So it didn't really make a difference with what I said... just correcting or adding to what I mentioned about the number of pairs being used since you are using or planning to use Gb ethernet in your wiring and didn't want you to be concerned with using a PoE switch if you go that direction.

bigone5500

I have a linksys (cisco) E4200 that has been in service for 3 or 4 years. I run it at 110Mbits down 10 up. Lots of devices connected and very very few reboots per year if any.

Tony

Staff member
I have had enough. All firmware for this damn router are lacking key features that I use every day that Asus has on theirs. So this router is going back tomorrow.

ChopDrifter

Asus hardware is a bit iffy though, I read all the reports, hence I stayed away from them.

Don't get me wrong I've got Asus gpu and other stuff (works well), just not Asus router stuff.

Top Bottom