450 Am I chicken? ?

Graham Lawrie

During my current bout of insomnia I flashed my 3gx from 3 to 3.1, easy enough:)

I then checked everything and spooled up, tip over in forward direction imminent so I spooled down.
Removed head and checked swash, completely level?

Went through 3gx set up all ok?
Set up 3gx on laptop and adjusted pots as per Westy and Gaba, s suggestions put both to 105 like video.

Spooled up, same thing, she wants to tip forward, several identical attempts and nearly one lift off??

Running out of idea's? Could it be 3gx and vibration?

P&T curves linear.

Am I just chicken and should I just lift off rapid? Costly repair if I am wrong. If I had somewhere local to take it to I would be going.

Last edited:

heli-maniac

thats one of the things i hated on the 3gx i never could get it to want to lift off strait allways wanted to lean or tilt on lift off could i fly it yes with a little correction it would lift off
then after the 3.1 upgrade it killed it so i will never go back to a 3 gx

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
It's good to be cautious. It looks like you ELE gain is a little to high. Use the turn the ELE pot down and use 3GX software to monitor it. I would start with again value of 105 for both AIL and ELE. You can fine tune these values to your liking later.

What pitch curve r u using? I find Align recommended with 5 ° at mid stick quite beginner friendly during spool-up. Having some positive pitch at mid stick makes the heli light on the skid faster as the motor spins up to speed, allowing it to take off more gently.

I would also throw the heli on a good set of training gear. I always do this when I am not sure how a newly mod-ed heli will behave. Good luck!

Tony

Staff member
You may try reflashing it and make sure to go through the DIR and Rud setup again. Sometimes they take a couple tries to get right. When I got the 600 off the ground, it went straight into the air no problems. Make sure you are not touching the sticks except to counter any reaction that it's doing. Like say, wanting to take a bow without having flown lmao.

Graham Lawrie

I used the laptop to set the pots to 105 on both :) Pitch curve is linear. I have training gear on as well, thats what saved the forward tip over and it kind of helps me to see how it is lifting off. Thanks helicc16:)

- - - Updated - - -

You may try reflashing it and make sure to go through the DIR and Rud setup again. Sometimes they take a couple tries to get right. When I got the 600 off the ground, it went straight into the air no problems. Make sure you are not touching the sticks except to counter any reaction that it's doing. Like say, wanting to take a bow without having flown lmao.

LMAO Tony, it certainly wants to take a bow!! I might try again, but thats 3 times now that i have done it and it seems to be holding the information from the previous time eg Ail/Ele 105.

This 450 has never been straight forward but i am putting it down to my inexperience. But when i see everyone taking off no problem it makes me wonder??

Tony

Staff member
3.1 should be MUCH more stable on liftoff than 3.0.

The gyro may be fighting the training gear. It may be built into the gyro to add a little forward cyclic to raise that tail up on liftoff. I would say try it, but make sure you are ready to correct it. If it were me, I would try it. But, I would be doing it with a cheaper set of blades to try.

Ken Jackson

I chose to wait on my upgrade from 3 to 3.1. I was not and have not had any issues so I don't want to change what I already trust.

Just my thought and normally I would upgrade any computer or smart TV immediately. Guess I'm going with my instinct. I almost did and pulled back.

Anyway I know many have done it, I guess I'm a rebel but thought some people reading this post should know not everyone has. If its not broke don't fix it.

Ken

Ken Jackson

I forgot about it actually. I figured I would have done it by now! HaHa! Guess I haven't been bored.

Good luck with it

Westy

LEGEND
when you upgrading your firmware.... did you set your POTS to 12 before flashing?

Try going back to say 2.1 and then updating to 3.1 with the 2 pots at 12 oclock ....

Funny I contacted Align and ALIGN RC USA got back to me and advised me to do that .... and leave them at 12 0clock then test fly and see what happens from there....

give that a go and see what happens.

Graham Lawrie

when you upgrading your firmware.... did you set your POTS to 12 before flashing?

Try going back to say 2.1 and then updating to 3.1 with the 2 pots at 12 oclock ....

Funny I contacted Align and ALIGN RC USA got back to me and advised me to do that .... and leave them at 12 0clock then test fly and see what happens from there....

give that a go and see what happens.
Hi Westy, they were at 12 before I started as I had not touched them since I got the 3gx. Its worth another go.

Top Bottom