380/420 ALZRC380 Rx

Harford

I have a good range of Align helis all of which have been a good experience. Just to try something new, I have a ALZRC 380 which I am now constructing. A few small issues but by and large I think it is a superb kit and have read nothing but positive comments about them. I am assuming I can use a single Spektrum satellite for the RX (as I do for Trexs' 450 & 470). For me gentle flying only (no 3D). Does anyone think this RX set up is inadequate ?

Smoggie

Depends what FBL you are using but traditional satellites are a bit 'old hat'. A serial receiver like the AR4651T is a better option these days. They have dual diversity antenna, telemetry and FBL integration capabilities, all of which are lacking in a standard satellite.

If using a standard sat installation, personally i'd use two.

Harford

Many thanks for the replies. I will be using a Spirit 2 FBL. I have a SPM4649T on a 700E and can see the SPM4651T is a successor to that. I have just ordered one and as it is local will see it tomorrow. If I understand correctly, I can use the 4651 in isolation ? - no need for a satellite (although I do have a spare 9645 lying around)

Smoggie

If I understand correctly, I can use the 4651 in isolation ? - no need for a satellite (although I do have a spare 9645 lying around)
For a 380 heli the 4651T with it's dual diversity antenna will be fine on it's own, but the Spirit does give you the option to run a satellite as a redundant backup for an extra level of safety.

Harford

Thank you. Based on what you say, I will save the SPM9645 for another project. I will not be extending the 380 to it’s limits.

Harford

I received the SPM4651T today and at the same have researched the wiring requirement. I understand I need a SRXL2 adapter cable, which I have now ordered. I can see that the receiver connects to the Spirit using the RUD and ELE/PIT/AIL ports. I am just not sure about the reference in the Spirit System manual (online) to Throttle output - effectively stating with a SRXL2 satellite receiver, set up Throttle Output from the unit at (AUX/AUX1 ports) and assign Throttle channel in the General/Channels at Channel 1.
I am assuming the ESC plugs into the AUX 1 port on the unit but confused about the throttle assignment instruction above . Is this something I need to do on the software Receiver channel mapping tab ?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Smoggie

The cables are easy to make if you have a crimper, if not then yes, you need to buy one. Throttle assignment is the same as if you were using a standard satellite receiver, no different at all.

Harford

I do have a crimper - good suggestion, thank you. When setting up my 470L using a Spirit 2 and satellite, I didn't do anything regarding throttle assignment and everything works as it should. Therefore guessing no action required. Thanks again.

Smoggie

just make sure when you do the setup that in the Spirit channel assignment 'Channel 1' is assigned to throttle. It can default to 'unassigned' on a new setup.

Harford

Understand : General tab- Receiver-Channel - Receiver Channel mapping. Throttle must be assigned to Channel 1. I don't think I have ever done anything here when setting up a Spirit but I will ensure it is not 'Unassigned' . Thank you for this advice.

Top Bottom