FBL Gyro Align AP800 Digital Pitch Gauge issues

EyeStation

So last week I received my online order for parts which included the Align AP800 Digital Pitch Gauge.
I was pumped, I get to set my heli's up with the proper tools.
All things cool, the gauge powers up, and zero's out and clips onto the blades without drooping them like the iPhone was prone to do.
The frustration started when I was setting up my pitch, and unable to get my left and right blades to coincide. I was fighting a 1.5° difference that would not follow the blade or position. Having the blade level and equal ± pitch on the left side and swing the blade around to find the thing being off at 0° on the other side, with the offset following the ± Pitch.
I started to flip this gauge around on a few surfaces on my bench and found the ± pitch of my gauge was the culprit.
Found a soft calibration procedure online that tells you to hold down the Zero button on power-up till you see the flashing decimal indicating "Calibration Mode". The unit will show live readings until you level it out at 0°. Then the display holds, push and release the Zero button, then push and release the Hold button and the display will show 9.0°.
From there you are prompted for the remaining calibration points, 9.0, 15.0, 20.0, 25.0, 30.0, 35.0, -9.0, -15.0, -20.0, -25.0, -30.0 and -35.0.
Once obtaining an angle = to the prompted display, you will push and release the Zero button to accept that reading, then push and release the Hold and the next Cal step will be prompted. Continue until you get through accept button for -35.0° and the gauge will power off. Calibration Complete.

The frustration setting the blades prior to this "Cal" caused my heli to not leave the ground till nearly 70% collective, even though my pitch curve was set for -2.0, 0.0, 8.0 for its range.
I set up my 300x after this soft calibration and found my heli now clearing the ground before 60% stick.
A minor gyro adjustment in comparison to the corrections needed for the inaccurate gauge.

So, a little FYI before you throw out your cheap little AP800. And the "No Power Up" problem is easily solved by lifting the small tab on the battery cover.

Tony

Staff member
One thing to remember, Once you zero out the gauge, do not move the helicopter adn only check the pitch from that one angle that you set the gauge to. I always do mine from the front and calibrate it every time across the frame on teh top. then, I only check the pitch on the front of the helicopter. Never the sides or the rear. You will always get a bad reading if you go to another orientation.

pvolcko

Yeah, digital pitch gauges are a bit of pain, honestly. I prefer the old analog/manual ones. As Tony says, you can only use the digital ones from one location and orientation. You have to find a spot on the heli level enough (and large enough) to reliably zero out the gauge. Dial gauges, just put something flat across the top of the head and reference to it. Simple, can move the blades around to test the swash level, don't have to recal if you bump the heli to a new location on your quite possibly non-level building surface. etc etc

Sometimes I have to use the digital because there isn't enough room to get a good vantage for the visual reference on the dial gauge, but on most of my helis, I use the dial with great results and with far less hassle than the digital.

Top Bottom