450 Align 450 dfc

Jaydog33

Hello everyone I just finished my first 450 build It a Align 450DFC 3gx The build went perfect i am just stumped on the setup motion. I fly other helis and quadcopters. I am not familiar with the 3GX and what part to start with. I am running a dx8 with 2 satellite receivers. I searched a lot of forums and you tube videos for info. The 450 binded i ran through some basic functions but didnt go much farther. The only thing that was not working was spool up I wasnt trying to ofly just making sure everything is functioning when i throttle it up it dont spool it kinda just jumps a half a spin. Not sure if that is from not being setup properly. Sorry for the lengthy post any info i would greatly appreciate thank you...

Tony

Staff member
Have you watched the videos that I created for the 3GX? They are for this exact setup. Click the link below to watch them. It will walk you right through all of the steps that are needed to get the helicopter in the air with beginner settings. Once you like how it feels, then you can start tweaking the settings to make it more agile. But I suggest my settings to start with. And if you are on 3.1, get that helicopter off the ground FAST! If you are running 4.0, then watch and be ready for tail issues. But it will be stable on the ground.

Rc-Help - 3GX How-To

Jaydog33

Thank you for replying yes I watched the videos do I need to do any settings on the dx8 or is it all controlled by the 3gx I'm running software 3.1. Just wondering also about it not spoiling up at all is that a settings is so thanks. Jay

Tony

Staff member
Settings on the DX8 will be swash set to 120º 3 servo, then subtrim in DIR mode to put the servo arms at 90º to the swash links. Once setup is complete, then you can go in and setup pitch curve as well as DR and Expo.

Jaydog33

Ok great I will go back and watch all of the videos and start from there. Would the settings cause it to not spool up?

Tony

Staff member
I don't see it not allowing it to spool up. Make sure the ESC is plugged into teh THRO port on the 3GX and that you have done the governor endpoint setup in the gyro. Also, you may need to set your endpoints in the ESC as well. You will do this by turning on the TX and raising the throttle stick all the way up. Plug in the helicopter. You will hear a series of beeps, should be two, then you will lower the throttle all the way down. At this time it shoudl initialize.

Jaydog33

Ok first chance I get I will run through all the steps in the videos. I will also do the computer software as well. Just wanted to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Admiral

Hi Jaydog, I had spoolup issues with a 450 build with the 3GX, the issue appeared to be the ESC it would just beep every two seconds which according to the ESC manual was an signal error from the ESC, changing ESCs did not help. In the end I started from scratch, by reloading the 3GX Ver 4 firmware, that resolved the issue. Not sure if I caused it in the beginning as I was just learning about the 3GX system.

Jaydog33

Thank you for the response you guys are really helpful. I am not familiar with it as well. How did you start from scratch is there a master reset on the 3gx to do that. I'm gonna rebind it.

Admiral

Hi Jaydogg33, You use the 3GX software on your computer to reload the firmware, the different versions are available on this Website, I am using version 4 but a lot of people are recommending to use ver 3.1 as it has less issues. Once loaded work your way through the software and the videos that Tony has put up. I have now got two 3GX systems working, and been able to resolve the tail issues on the 500, the 450 is all working but very twitchy so I working through that now. Not as straight forward as the AR7200BX but I'm confident that the 3GX system does work OK just needs a lot of tuning.

Jaydog33

That's what I feel it seems like a great system just needs a lot of tweaking. I'm use to either a bind and adjust through your rx. Or my other 450 clone has a spektrum receiver and a 750 gyro which is pretty straight forward. The next chance I have I'm gonna start from scratch with everything in the meantime I will keep replaying Tony's videos lol. It has 3.1 I will stick with that for now.

Jaydog33

Ok finally getting around to working on the 450. I need to level the swash plate if I power up the heli the servos should center and then I can level correct? Everything is set to zero no sub trims or anything inputed. Should I start that first before doing any other setup? Thanks. Jay

Lee

when the heli is powered up, with a linear pitch curve in the radio and mid stick, the servos should be at 90º.
Then you can go through all the links from servo to blade grips to get 0º pitch in the blades.

Top Bottom