A Weekend Of Flying... And Crashing...

Tony

Staff member
I must say, even though I killed the FF-22, I had a good time this weekend. Even though it was so hot that most people didn't come out, it was still fun getting to know the club airport. It's great that there is actually a place to land that is not covered in love grass (the huge mounds of long grass you see in my field).

The video explains it all. Something happened to the FF-22 and it just would not bank to the left. When it did finally catch air and bank, it was too much, then there was just no saving it. Oh well, it's only foamboard. I will build another one.

The video is quite boring, but it's the best I could throw together with the limited footage that I was able to get. You can bet that when the temps come down into the 80's, there will be a LOT more people out there flying. And I will get even more footage of that. And yes, I still need to edit the footage from last weekend at the Float Fly. But just wait, we have another one coming up for next month. Going to be a great crowd if the weather holds out. Should be close to 1000 people watching, and I'm hoping to get the whole club out there for this one. Not only will we be taking off from the water, but from the land as well. Should be great.

Enjoy the video.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9O5dAh7b_PA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The poor F22 did you find out what the problem was , and the MCPX looked like it was struggling a bit in windy conditions, you could here the motors being bogged down

Tony

Staff member
I could not find a single problem with the FF-22. There was plenty of air going over the ailerons and it should have worked, but it didn't. I will rebuild it and put a propjet motor on it this time and see what happens.

As for the mcpx, yes, it was giving it all it had lol. But, when you heard the motor bog down, I was at full pitch, and the tail was staying right where I put it. Well, except for that one time lmao. But, that was my fault. I gave it negative pitch too long, and it just couldn't over come the drop. So, it took power away from the tail causing it to blow out. But, with as windy as it was, I think it did pretty good.

Lee

Tony, take the tail fin off the MCPX. It makes it fly much better in wind, especially tail into wind or backwards flying. I like the invert. Held it for quite a while :D
I think the F22 looks like its tail heavy the way it was flying, but as you showed it was good if not slightly nose heavy. Which tells me it was just under powered.
Nice flying site.

Tony

Staff member
I could have held that hover for a lot longer than that, but I got bored watching it just sit there lol. Had to toss it around some more. And the plane was anything but tail heavy. By removing one of the motors and ESC's, I had to position the motor back another 1.5" just to get it close. I think one thing that hurt this plane was the fuse was only about an inch from the front of the impellar, and could have reduced the airflow into it. Not sure, but whatever it was, it was the death of it lol.

And as for the tail fin, if I take it off, I lose orentation really fast when it's out there a ways. That is why I left it on. In fact, I have broke the little clamps that are on it, and super glued it in place lol. Just a small drop, so it can still come off.

Whirlybird

Nice flying site Tony . . . looks like something out of Clearview :)

You did seem to be having some fun despite it all . . .

Tony

Staff member
Oh I had a great time. If you can't have fun in this hobby, crashes and all, then why do it? I may be saying something different if I crash my Edge 540 though lol. Just waiting on my servos and I will find out if that one will fly.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Nice flying Tony. I was thinking that if I put my little 120 in the air in that wind that it would be in the next county by now. Lol

Tony

Staff member
haha, it was a struggle making it go to the right, but going to the left, that thing was hauling ass lol.

Top Bottom