A Walk Through Nostalgia

Whirlybird

Hey Guys!! Here a 13 min. documentary on my RC past. Had a lot of fun putting it together . . . hope you enjoy it :)

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JUwIZYBcFDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Westy

LEGEND
That was awesome! I wish I could have seen the Whirly bird series .... I used M.A.S.H as my heli fix when I was younger. the heli pad and hte Huey's (My personal favourite heli) landing both in the jungle and at the heli pad!

Tony

Staff member
We have one of those old "mash" helis on a poll here at the base. We also have an old huey on a pad just behind me, and quite a few chinooks and blackhawks. As boring as my job is, we have some really cool crap that I can't play with lmao.

Westy

LEGEND
cool .... one of my best mates had a Huey D Class of his own and a Hughes 300 heli .... we used to fly a lot in them ..... unfortunately he died during a routine job in his Hughes 300..... so no more helis since.

What do you do at the Air Base?

Westy

LEGEND
HAAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAHHAAHHAaaaaa

Excellent answer! - that had me rolling on the floor instantly .....

Whirlybird

That was awesome! I wish I could have seen the Whirly bird series .... I used M.A.S.H as my heli fix when I was younger. the heli pad and hte Huey's (My personal favourite heli) landing both in the jungle and at the heli pad!

MASH didn't have "Hueys" . . . Those were Bel 47's / H19's (military designation) :)

. . . . . . . . .

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
yeah I know they had the Bell 47's .... but you did see the odd Huey on the series .... My favourite movie is Apocalypse now "The Heli Calvary Scene" haha .....

Whirlybird

yeah I know they had the Bell 47's .... but you did see the odd Huey on the series .... My favourite movie is Apocalypse now "The Heli Calvary Scene" haha .....

Found this footnote on MASH . . . "Factual error: During Henry Blake's command, a model of a Bell UH-1 'Huey' can be seen hanging from the ceiling of the commander's office in several shots. In fact, the Huey's first flight was only in 1956."

I don't see reference to an actual Huey being used, but if you saw one, I don't doubt it now . . . That's Hollywood for you :dizzy:

Last edited:

Whirlybird

There is another movie focusing on the Korean war helicopters called "Battle Taxi" which features the Sikorsky S-55 / H19 (military)

Westy

LEGEND
ha ha .... well there you go ..... I was fooled too... or mixed up or both! ... yes we certainly had Hillers to thank for the Flybar system ..... great concept...... how cool is it that someone ... says in thier mind .... hey why can't we make a digital timing correction instead of a mechanical one .... and the FBL is born :)

Whirlybird

Never thought of it that way :chuckles:

- - - Updated - - -

We have one of those old "mash" helis on a poll here at the base. We also have an old huey on a pad just behind me, and quite a few chinooks and blackhawks. As boring as my job is, we have some really cool crap that I can't play with lmao.

I've seen "Huey's on a stick" around the Chicago area . . .

stokke

Thanks Frank, that's a great video! I love to watch how things were in the olden'days :D Makes me appreciate all the fancy tech we get nowadays.

Whirlybird

At least I got in with proportional radios. I can't imagine how it was with the old "Reed" Transmitters and rubberband powered escapements (servos). You could never fly a helicopter back then!

Top Bottom