700E Flights

pvolcko

Starting up a new thread for my 700E flights.

So far...

Flights 1-3 (From the build thread: T-Rex 700E build)

And the latest, flight 4 from the STARS club field in Phoenix, NY:

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Flight 5, testing out some tail pre-comp adjustments in the ikon. Almost there in this flight. I ended up doing some more tweaking at the club field later that day and I'm pretty happy with it now. Next step will be trying to setup the self-leveling feature and trying different performance settings for the three banks.

also have 4 new batteries for this heli to try out. A pair of 5300mah 35C's from EP Buddy and a pair of 5000mah turnigies. I had one extra battery plate and will be replacing the batteries on one of the others with the new ones. Hopefully these will keep more punch through the flight, especially toward the end. And maybe get some longer flight times than these puffed out packs I've been using.

Lee

Sweet. I really want a 700, but the space we have hear will not allow it :(

pvolcko

The crash, details at: T-Rex 700E build - Page 10

Crash is in the last 20 seconds. Rest of it is some talking at the beginning and several minutes of nothing too special (testing higher tail-precomp settings in the ikon, trying to minimize the pitch pump kick out of the tail, got ESC settings about where I want them in prior vids, not yet posted).

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Man! that sucks..I always knock on wood when i see one of our fella RCH put their birds on the ground. hope you get her back up soon.

pvolcko

Parts are starting to roll in. Should hopefully have everything needed by end of Friday and be able to get it back up in the air this weekend.

I got main blades (two sets, one edge and one set of rails) and tail blades already. Didn't realize it until I got the new ones, but Gaba had 713mm blades on this. I ordered up 693/696mm blades. Little shorter. Should work fine. Little less torque to swing them so maybe that will help my tail kick out issue. Going to try the DFC link ends for the elevator/anti-rotation link (it has a special collar on it to recess into the arm, unlike the other link ends). Had a stock tail boom. Waiting on TT, servo and gear set, skid pipes, and other items still. Before this I had ordered up some longer tail blades so those will be coming too, along with rpm sensor to try the ikon gov.

Got parts for the 300X so have to get that back together tonight (so I can crash it again tomorrow... ugh).

pvolcko

It's funny. I remember it taking longer for it to glide to the ground after I hit TH just before it glanced the tree. Must have had that "slow mo" perception thing going on. Which means, at the time, this was about as traumatic as being in a car accident in my mind. :)

Ken Jackson

Are you liking the IKON? What does the Pre-comp do? Did it help with pre-comp. I have a replacement IKON in route. Hope it solves the tail problems I was having

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Put 15-30 expo on your tail rotor, it will eliminate those little stick movements that make you think the tail isn't holding. Once I did that I was able to do those large backward loops. Your reverse loop looked great by the way.

Ken

pvolcko

I'm liking it, Ken. Seems very stable and locked in. The collective pre-comp was helping, but I had to use very high settings to get it to counter the pitch pump kick out I was seeing. And it never got rid of it entirely. I was using the ESC governor during this and I think it was just taking too long to catch up to the RPM loss, no matter what settings I used.

I did a test flight yesterday (video coming soon) after getting it repaired. I am now using the Ikon governor instead of the CC ESC gov. Much better handling of pitch pumps vis a vis the motor keeping up with things and resulting kick out. I'm going to reset the pre-comp settings to 0 and try again today to see how it performs that way. But from the ESC logs it looked like there was only a 50 RPM or so drop off on start of pitch pump and it reved to 50-75 over at the top. With CC gov I was seeing easily 100+RPM drop and 100+ overrev on the top.

I also am using 20mm shorter main blades now which can be contributing to the improvement.

I heard a slight bit of flutter during some of the maneuvers, similar to what I was hearing when the CC ESC gov gain was too high, but it was slight and didn't happen too often. And I couldn't find an indication of it in the esc logs on throttle input so it may be a result of the now too high tail pre-comp and the tail fluttering a bit as it compensates down.

But, back to the Ikon, I think it is a very solid FBL gyro. I've now used every feature of it except for the self leveling feature. I'm impressed with the amount of control it offers over settings and setup. Love the three flight mode/setup banks it provides. I haven't had any tail or cyclic control issues that I'd attribute to it. The tail kick out I've had has seemingly been primarily due to too slow to respond motor speed governing and perhaps undersized tail blades for the size of main blades that were on there, Ikon did what it could to compensate. And it only happened on aggressive pitch changes. Normal flight was absolutely fine.

I put it a step above 7200bx. And for the same price point, new. The SL feature has a spotty record, admittedly, but since it's the same cost as a 7200bx and less than half the cost of a HeliCommand/BavarianDemon, to me it is a fantastic value even if the SL doesn't end up working for me when I get around to testing it out.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try putting some more tail expo in. That or maybe see if I can dial in a wider deadband. I like the level of control the current expo setting has, but I do need a little more leeway at center. That or I may try cranking up the stick tension for rudder on the Tx to help keep me in line better. I've gotten a lot better about it since realizing what I was doing. But at the extremes of collective stick I do still tend to thumb in some left rudder.

pvolcko

Flight 20: Tracking and Testing
[video=youtube_share;rRYWW07akT0]http://youtu.be/rRYWW07akT0[/video]

pvolcko

Flights 21 and 24:

[video=youtube_share;0x2cStUd_P0]http://youtu.be/0x2cStUd_P0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;40D0IJiS-7g]http://youtu.be/40D0IJiS-7g[/video]

pvolcko

Bound to the DX9. Flight was almost uneventful. Was doing some AIL loops in different idle up settings and in idle up 1 it very nearly crashed into the trees due to an unexplained power loss right at the bottom of the loop!

[video=youtube_share;Rq3ajGNG3QE]http://youtu.be/Rq3ajGNG3QE[/video]

Top Bottom