Quad 5" prop on 210 mm frame

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I couldn't resist and bought the 5" Gemfan moon light props Gemfan Moonlight V2 LED 51466 Durable Tri-Blade 5" Prop 4 Pack - Choose Your Color I thought I had a 5" frame laying around the cave but it turn out to be 4". Can those 5" prop fit on the 210 mm frame or should I go ahead and get 5" frame? If I can make those prop fit the 210 frame, I can put together a long distance quad with hopefully 10 min. flight time if I get the proper electronics. Just a little project to use up some of my spare electronics that I have laying around.

Tony

Staff member
As long as they clear, but I'm assuming they will not. Usually there is only 1/4" clearance on the props to the main frame, and with it being 1" bigger, that is 1/2" larger per side, which means 1/4" interference. You can try cutting the props down, but you will need to balance them, and they will get quite loud without the stock tips.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nah. No cutting any blades. I didn't want to order a new frame since I have one collecting dust but not 5" :(.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
As long as they clear, but I'm assuming they will not. Usually there is only 1/4" clearance on the props to the main frame, and with it being 1" bigger, that is 1/2" larger per side, which means 1/4" interference. You can try cutting the props down, but you will need to balance them, and they will get quite loud without the stock tips.
I did some thinking after Tony's post and decided to just get a 5" frame instead :). FBXPro-215 Drone Racing Frame I have everything else.

wolfman76

This reminds me I need to finish my 2 race drones. Would love to see the video of this thing when is flying DOG

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
This reminds me I need to finish my 2 race drones. Would love to see the video of this thing when is flying DOG
Absolutely I'll post a video when I complete the build. I'm using this quad as a deterrent to our local neighborhood tweaker's. Beside the night blades, I'm also going to put the night owl FPV camera and head lights on it so my visibility will be so-so when cruising, patrolling and chasing the teaker's away from my house. I just have fun watching them scatter like cockroaches when I fly during the day and now at night :). Especially my phantom 3. I do have a 5" skyliner that I use for free style plus flying in and out of trees lol.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
If I have 1 set of motors 1806/2700kv and the others are 1806/2300kv. The frame and electronics weight the same and both motors will have 5" props on it. Which 1806 motors would work for extra flight time? It will be powered by a 4in1 30a esc using a 4s 75c/650 mAh. Is there a formula or just try it out and find out formula :thinking:

RandyDSok

If I have 1 set of motors 1806/2700kv and the others are 1806/2300kv. The frame and electronics weight the same and both motors will have 5" props on it. Which 1806 motors would work for extra flight time? It will be powered by a 4in1 30a esc using a 4s 75c/650 mAh. Is there a formula or just try it out and find out formula :thinking:

If both motors are the same only with different kv's ... then the lower rpm from the 2300kv would give a longer flight since it isn't spinning as quickly and creating a higher load if using the same prop... That is a big IF when I don't know the rest of the specs. Look at the wattage or amperage values on each and the lower one will last longer... Which then brings in the last part, will that be the performance you are looking for or not?

The formula you'd use is of course Ohms law and requires that you know at least 2 values. The only thing is that doesn't address the performance specs, just the electrical aspects only.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Randy :). This is not for performance...more for cruzzing around doing some sightseeing while recording.

Top Bottom