450 450 clone head setup

hawk-i

Hey guys can anybody put me on a good head setup video for a trex 450 clone. And if you buy a head that has the one piece non adjustable links at the very top can you switch them out with adjustable one's ? I got a bunch of linkage from other kits and seems like it may make the blade tracking less of a pain. Oh and thanks a lot for the help on my dfc . It hovers great.

DAL2855

Banned
With using the DFC Head, you cannot switch the links out. This is why the DFC head does not need the swash driver to keep the swash properly phased for the head. It's not anymore difficult to do blade tracking with the DFC links verses tracking a normal FBL or FB head. Personally, I would rather track a DFC head over the FBL head. All you do, is ensure that the swash is perfectly level, then measure your DFC linkages, center to center, they should be exactly the same. I measure mine with a mm ruler on my pitch gauge as I don't have a set of calipers. Then your blade tracking should be spot on!

Slobberdog

With using the DFC Head, you cannot switch the links out. This is why the DFC head does not need the swash driver to keep the swash properly phased for the head. It's not anymore difficult to do blade tracking with the DFC links verses tracking a normal FBL or FB head. Personally, I would rather track a DFC head over the FBL head. All you do, is ensure that the swash is perfectly level, then measure your DFC linkages, center to center, they should be exactly the same. I measure mine with a mm ruler on my pitch gauge as I don't have a set of calipers. Then your blade tracking should be spot on!

DAL2855, think he wants help to set up a fly barred head not the fbl..........

DAL2855

Banned
Well he said something about DFC there in the last sentence of his post which was why I thought he was talking about a DFC head! But yeah if you're talking about a FB head with the non-adjustable fixed linkages that run from washout arms to blade grips, yes those can be switched out for the adjustable ones! I have both sets of those linkages and either one will work. And yes it does make blade tracking much easier!

Derek

"DFC" means "Direct Flight Control"....meaning a flybarless head. If he's talking about a "DFC" head, then he's talking about a flybarless head.

I'm pretty sure that Tony has a video on the 450 head setup.

Slobberdog

He's asking a question on a clone head with the one peice top linkages that tells me hes asking for flybarred,

he then says thanks for the help in setting up his DFC heli it now hovers great.........

I know Lee posted some good stuff on flybarred setup but cant find where at the moment

hawk-i

Thanks and yes it is a flybar head I'm trying to set up. I'm right now replacing the main shaft that bent because it vibrated so much it bent it. It was strange because I replaced the plastic head with a tarot I got off e-bay and it seemed to fly good for a while. but the more I flew it the worse the vibrations got. I think the main shaft was bent when I got it because the top button never really ran true. So new main and feathering shafts and now I need a good video to follow. Thanks for all the help guys.

hawk-i

Thanks for the clone setup video Tony. I followed it and got the clone in the air but it's 11:00 pm here so I couldn't see the blade tracking very well. I'll check it tomorrow. By the way that flybar holding tool, did you make it or was it bought?

Tony

Staff member
I made that out of some 1/4" acrylic and some 8/32" nylon bolts. Very handy, but would be better if I had a level that I could put on the head. The way it was, if you spun it around, your settings would be off. But, it gets it close enough.

Tony

Staff member
I have already answered this question in post #7. If you watch is and follow along with what I'm showing, you will see how to set it up. It's the ONLY video we have of a FB head setup, or a dedicated video I should say. Just omit the parts on the blade grip links.

450 clone head setup

hawk-i

Ok I did everything as the video said and the one clone with the solid links seems to fly as well and the one with the adjustable ones. Thanks guys. I think from now on when I buy a head I'll make sure it has adjustable links. Anyway thanks for all the help.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, the solid links are best since the setup has less steps. Either way will get you going though. Glad you got it sorted out.

Top Bottom