Motors 3s To 4s

Tony

Staff member
We are going to need to know exactly what motor you have to answer this question. If you can post a link to the product, we can let you know if it will handle 4s or not.

Smoggie

As a general rule the motor will be ok with the increased voltage but you will most likely have to run a smaller prop, otherwise the amps will be too high and it could burn.
Like Tony said, motor specifications required and prop details

Tony

Staff member
Wow, there is absolutely NO information on that motor on that page. Very interesting.

If this were me (and I'm not saying you should do this), I would put a 4s pack in it and fly it for one minute to test the motor temp. Of course I would be lowering my prop since the rpm will be going up. In doing this, I would risk losing a $50 motor. If you do try this, just know that this $50 motor could go up in smoke.

Also, make sure your ESC can handle 16 volts as well. If it can't, it could burn out and in rare cases, push full voltage to the servos which would not be good.

Admiral

Found a discussion on this motor, seems everybody is have the same issues with Specs, comments are plagiarized not mine.

From a guy who used a 4S motor.

It can be used with a 4s, but you must reduce the prop size so that you don't over-amp the motor and burn it up. And no, it definitely is not a 480 watt motor. I rather like these motors myself, lots of guys don't however.

Then comments by a guy who had tested the motor, the page with the data was no longer available.

It would seem that it is, at the most, perhaps a 240W-250W motor:

Hope this helps.

Jamess

Yes, although suppliers don't support this, I also tried to use my 2s 5200 and 3s 5000mah in series last time, but I didn't do it again

gliderflier

it would all depend on the winding of the motor, KV of the motor and its heat resistant stators, if you post the motor brand, name etc. it will help answer your question, having said that, you can use a watt meter to determine the amperage of teh motor and if it can take a highter voltage on a small prop.

rc gliders

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
One thing I learned on motors. If you want to run a higher voltage on a given motor you will need to adjust the max throttle. The idea is to keep the RPM in the rang for the motor. If you can do that then you shouldn't have much issues. I would as Tony stated keep checking the motor to ensure its not over heating.

To answer your question no, what ever battery you connect thats the voltage it will run. Upgrading to a 4s rated esc means that it can handle up to 4S.

Fly-n-Low

Doesn't a larger motor (in diameter) have a mechanical advantage?

Stock was a 9x6 noodle. Installed a 11x7 APC and it would go vertical. I never ran it more than 2 seconds with a 3 cell full vertical.

Maybe a 9x6 APC would work...?

960kv

3x = 2880

4x = 3840

murankar

Staff member
Thats beyond me. Thats going to be tony randy or who fly planes.

Bigger motor to me means more torque.

RandyDSok

I would never try to guess at what a motor is capable of without having specs to base my guesses on... I certainly wouldn't assume anything based on the size of the motor either. In fact, I've seen physically smaller motors than what Eflight made, provide more power... so don't assume anything based off of size.

This sort of leaves you on your own since HH doesn't provide any info to base any guess on... educated or not. I also wouldn't base a guess on a motor on a burst of just a few seconds run. So I'm of no help to speak of either.

Top Bottom