1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Motors 3s To 4s

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Fly-n-Low, Oct 29, 2019.

< Clearance issue? | Battery Choices? >
  1. Fly-n-Low

Fly-n-Low New Member

3S 480 motor, upgrade to a 4S capable 35A ESC. So will the motor burn running 4S?

Fixed wing, sport flyer.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

We are going to need to know exactly what motor you have to answer this question. If you can post a link to the product, we can let you know if it will handle 4s or not.

3. Smoggie

Smoggie Well-Known Member

As a general rule the motor will be ok with the increased voltage but you will most likely have to run a smaller prop, otherwise the amps will be too high and it could burn.
    Like Tony said, motor specifications required and prop details

4. Fly-n-Low

Fly-n-Low New Member

5. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Wow, there is absolutely NO information on that motor on that page. Very interesting.

If this were me (and I'm not saying you should do this), I would put a 4s pack in it and fly it for one minute to test the motor temp. Of course I would be lowering my prop since the rpm will be going up. In doing this, I would risk losing a $50 motor. If you do try this, just know that this $50 motor could go up in smoke.

Also, make sure your ESC can handle 16 volts as well. If it can't, it could burn out and in rare cases, push full voltage to the servos which would not be good.

Fly-n-Low likes this.
  6. Admiral

Admiral Well-Known Member

Information Technology (Retired)
    Found a discussion on this motor, seems everybody is have the same issues with Specs, comments are plagiarized not mine.

From a guy who used a 4S motor.

It can be used with a 4s, but you must reduce the prop size so that you don't over-amp the motor and burn it up. And no, it definitely is not a 480 watt motor. I rather like these motors myself, lots of guys don't however.

Then comments by a guy who had tested the motor, the page with the data was no longer available.

It would seem that it is, at the most, perhaps a 240W-250W motor:

Hope this helps.

Fly-n-Low likes this.
  7. Fly-n-Low

Fly-n-Low New Member

Thanks guys! I do have a spare motor with a broken shaft I can use for parts if it smokes.

8. Jamess

Jamess New Member

Yes, although suppliers don't support this, I also tried to use my 2s 5200 and 3s 5000mah in series last time, but I didn't do it again

< Clearance issue? | Battery Choices? >