FBL Gyro 3GX stuck in rate mode

Kyle17960

Am i better off getting a higher amp bec or just using the straight LiFe battery. I looked up the price of both and its about the same. My lipo charger has the setting to charge the LiFe also. That would just keep the system simplified more. I keep thinking this should have been such an easy build but the electronics are giving me the hangup guess i have a lot to learn yet. The worst part is its only simple amperage and voltage.

Tony

Staff member
If you decide to use a LiFe batter straight to the Rx, make darn sure that your servos can handle 7.4 volts constant. A LiFe battery will charge up to 7.2 volts and you need a little overhead. If you have servos that can only handle 6.6v, then you will fry them. If you have a Fubata servo, then more than likely you don't even want to run 5v.

What is good about a BEC, even if you run it off the LiFe battery, or another 2s LiPo, it will regulate down the voltage, making the battery last longer and give a constant discharge rather than slowly bleeding down. Just something to think about.

Kyle17960

Ok that answers that question. I only have one HV servo and that was the new tail servo from savox. All the others are the Aligh DS615 that are running the cyclic and the throttle. Guess ill be looking for a bec and ordering one before i go to sleep. Im really getting frustrated with this heli and really want it reliable and ready to fly. What are your thoughts on the gpro gyro to replace the 3gx?

Tony

Staff member
IMO, I would not even look at an Align gyro. I have no experience with the Gpro, but if it's anything like the 3GX, pass it up. Get an Ikon or an AR7200BX if you have a DSM2 or DSMX Tx. They are MUCH better gyros.

Kyle17960

ive been eying up the ikon and i saw the spektrum one also. My worry is with running the ikon on a gasser with the engine vibrations. I saw Westy's vid about using the Pu under it but is that enough isolation with a gasser? I would really like to go with a bavarian demon but they are around $400. I know a local guy that flies those and says they are the best gyro. Not to sure i can swing that much for one right now.

murankar

Staff member
BV are nice and they are great. The only thing with BV is that they do not have a governor in them. You will need an external gov for the gasser. Lots of folks run Ikon with Gassers just fine, Gaba has a gasser and a nitro with Ikons on them.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, the ikon will do just fine on that helicopter. It does a great job of dismissing the vibrations.

Slobberdog

ive been eying up the ikon and i saw the spektrum one also. My worry is with running the ikon on a gasser with the engine vibrations. I saw Westy's vid about using the Pu under it but is that enough isolation with a gasser? I would really like to go with a bavarian demon but they are around $400. I know a local guy that flies those and says they are the best gyro. Not to sure i can swing that much for one right now.

the Spartan Vortex gyros are very good on vibrations and feel rock solid in the air, as well as being easy to set up,

Kyle17960

I found out what my voltage drop problem was tonight. Turns out it was either the switch or the extensions going to the switch were not good. I added an extra switch back by the tail to make turning everything on and off easier. When i took that out of the loop there is plenty of power from one battery. wow does everything eat power with the engine at idle and with the vibrations. I hope before spring ill probably put an ikon on there for the better performance. Ill look into getting some of that silicon gel pad for under it to help reduce the bad vibs. once we get some nice weather here i hope to finally get this thing in the air.

bbj

I am using a ar9020 with my 3gx and tm1000 and had problems binding as well at first. Found that I needed to bind without the tm1000 connected when I tried to bind. Then plugged in my tm1000 to the bind port and rebound the entire system. Then it bond my telemetry and still was bond to my receiver. Forgot to mention the reason I am using a receiver with my 3gx and 2 satellites is because I wanted to bind in DSMX mode and not DSM2. The 3gx will only see dsm2 satellites but my receiver with the satellites hooked to it will see dsmx at 11 ms.

tperk

I just order a Align 700e with HV servos so I can use a 2cell lipo battery and no BEC but can the 3GX handle the 8 volts ?

Top Bottom