3gx Setup Part 2 How To Flash The Firmware To Version 3.0

Tony

Staff member
You will do the model select in the gyro setup on the gyro its self. It's either big heli (>500 size) or small heli (<500 size). And it's either a red or a green light when you do it. If you have not watched my video on it, click the link below and it will walk you through the setup. If you have any questions about it, dont' hesitate to ask.

Rc-Help - 3GX Setup Part 1 Complete Initial Gyro Setup

Klee811398

You will do the model select in the gyro setup on the gyro its self. It's either big heli (>500 size) or small heli (<500 size). And it's either a red or a green light when you do it. If you have not watched my video on it, click the link below and it will walk you through the setup. If you have any questions about it, dont' hesitate to ask.

Rc-Help - 3GX Setup Part 1 Complete Initial Gyro Setup

Thank you, It's just that I noticed at the hobby store their 3gx program had a page set ups for different helicopters that showed beginner intermediate and advanced setups. From my program doesn't show at page.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, that is version 1.2. Since then, the good stable versions are 2.1 and 3.0. But, IMO 3.0 needs work before I will suggest it. You can install firmware 1.2, but 2.1 is FAR better to use. You just have to do a little more programming. However, the stock settings AFTER you do the initial setup, and set your pots, should get you in the air pretty stable.

Klee811398

help......I have a trex 450 with 3gx, set it up per videos instruction but, when spooling up cyclic move full left.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure of the frame rate of that servo, all I use is align and the servo database doesn't have anything listed. As for the cyclic moving full left, welcome to what we are all dealing with on the 3.0 firmware. My 600 was going full right on the maiden flight, and I decided to keep it on the ground and not fly it. Once I hear of a solution, I will update.

Tony

Staff member
But, IMO 3.0 needs work before I will suggest it.

Just to update this, 3.0 is CRAP!!! I have removed it from the downloads and put 3.1 up instead. It's much better and far more stable on take off and landings than 3.0 ever thought of being. I forgot to update this when I made that change.

Derek

Since I've never flashed any firmware on anything before, here comes the question...

I'd like to upgrade from the 3.1 that I'm on to v5. Would I follow the same steps that are in this video?

Slobberdog

I take it you have uninstalled the old 3Gx software and installed v5

after that heres what I do

Turn on tx and plug in heli battery, 3Gx pops into life.....
Open 3Gx program
Connect your 3gx up to your dongle and connect usb to computer
go to firmware tab and go for update, new box opens up
Select v5 update and open
Update screen pops up, and shows USB detected,
Press update button

it should be as easy as that Derek, but I had so many attempts before it finally done it for me last night I was on it for hours,

Derek

I haven't uninstalled anything. I just downloaded and installed v5 to my laptop, yesterday, then I had to leave for work. I have a v3.1 and a v5 icon on my desktop. I'm so tired right now, I can't even think straight. I'm off to bed now but I'll be working on it in a few hours. The weather forecast is calling for rain today so there probably won't be any flying.....so, I'll just work on the setup of the v5 and some other rc stuff I wanna get done today.

Slobberdog

I don't know if it will work ok like that, following what Tony has always said remove old one and install the new one,

Derek

Ok, very good! I have to uninstall the 3GX v3.1 and then download and install v5. I can do that. Hopefully all goes well.

Derek

So....I uninstalled 3.1, downloaded and installed v5. The firmware update seems to have taken effect. I say "seems to have taken effect" because I didn't get any kind of notice of trouble.

Kev...you said that you had to do it a couple of times to get it to work. How could you tell that it didn't work? How can I be sure that it did work for me?

Derek

Yes, I understand that. I'm just wanting to know, how can I be sure that my firmware update was successful?

I imagine, because after I clicked on "update" and the progress bar did it's thing, I should be in good shape. Right?

Slobberdog

It will tell you update finished, close that update window and reopen 3gx software and when the unit connects it will show V5 at top of screen

Slobberdog

Great Derek, like I said it took me so long and I got so miffed, glad it worked for you, you will like V5 I think

Derek

I've been hearing some good things about v5, so I'm anxious to try it out. It's raining right now so it will just have to wait until tomorrow. Bummer!!!

Top Bottom