General 3GX Setup and rudder correction

Flymick

Hi Folks,
I am setting up my 3GX for my TRex 500. In rudder settings, I get the directions and limits set, no problem. In setting the delay, it settles at around 5. When I initialize the gyro and check for correction inputs from the gyro by swinging the tail, there is no response at all. No servo movement left or right to correct. This is on the ground and not flying. Surely I should get the gyro corrections ?

Graham Lawrie

It can depend on your settings in TX:) When you come out of DIR mode or setup it is more obvious. Sometimes you struggle to see the movement. Try it out of the set up:)

Flymick

I've just had a test flight, with training wheels thank goodness ! She has no rudder correction at all. I've just gone through the setup again and there is still no correction when the tail is given a big heave. The heli is a Trex500 FBL, the servo std. Align and the delay recorded is 6. What am I missing ?

Sparse

are you pressing the set button, and if your in the software hitting write ? you have to completely come out of the options. and not let the 3gx kick you out. 10 sec as it states in tonys videos. and then the 3gx will boot you out. after you come out of the 3gx it should reboot after a short time remembering your settings. you do not have to do each setting all over again. from what i found out the 3gx will remember your settings unless you move a stick in said menu. so in short power up the 3gx go into the rudder menu and hit the set button till you reach the menu that needs to be adjusted after your done without hitting any sticks keep pressing the set button until you come totally out of the setup program. the gyro should reset it self and see if that solves you issues. the 3gx is a learning curve however once you have it you can master any gyro.

Last edited:

Flymick

Hi Slobberdog,
I'm using a JR X8, with JR 831 Rx. Basically she lifts off and the nose swings left. The rudder throws that I put in stop the swing, but there is no gyro correction. I don't think the training wheels are affecting it because there's no correction when swung by hand. The pitch and roll gyro corrections work. The 3GX has just been updated from 1.1 (that's what version came up when first plugged in) to V5.

Sparse

that sounds like a gain issue, my friend. if not you have to go back through the 3gx as i stated before . what is your gyro gain set to in the tx you in hh or rate mode. hh status lite is green rate its red. when you power up the 3gx you will be able to tell. which mode your in. You want to fly in hh mode.

Last edited:

Sparse

depends on the tx and weather or not you have a receiver, or sats with the 3gx, for instance its normally gear however I run a sat. and no receiver, with a dx7. So I have to put my gyro on aux 2. and not gear.

Slobberdog

yes that's correct, in your channel assign menu do you have gyro set to gear as well, I think its that way around but might be gear set to gyro

- - - Updated - - -

after initialisation if you push the tail box to the right what happens to the tail pitch slider

Flymick

I've a Rx, plugged into gear per instructions. Just checked again, no change. I think I'll reset all and re-do the whole setup.

Flymick

yes that's correct, in your channel assign menu do you have gyro set to gear as well, I think its that way around but might be gear set to gyro

- - - Updated - - -

after initialisation if you push the tail box to the right what happens to the tail pitch slider

Nothing, it doesn't move

Slobberdog

its got to be a set up or connection from 3gx to rx problem, double check your tx from top to bottom just in case you have something inhibited or not directed correctly

Flymick

Ok, will do. Thanks so far. I'll start over, reset everything, including Tx. Can't take a chance. Appreciate your time, Slobberdog.

Flymick

Ok, it was all in the Tx. Gain set at 50 percent is zero. Must be around 75 percent +ve or -ve to get the gyro correction. Thank you for your time and effort.

Sparse

that sounds like a gain issue, my friend. if not you have to go back through the 3gx as i stated before . what is your gyro gain set to in the tx you in hh or rate mode. hh status lite is green rate its red. when you power up the 3gx you will be able to tell. which mode your in. You want to fly in hh mode.

told him in the beginning it was a gain issue. glad u got it sorted.

Top Bottom