FBL Gyro 3Gx Rudder setup help ??

iflyrc4333

Okay I am not a complete nobe BUT I cant figure this one out ?? I Currently Fly a Raptor 50, A Raptor 30 and a Trex 700 FBL with the old 3g system. I fly all of these with my Futaba 7C. Well I recently "tried to update my Trex 600 FBL to V4 ( and yes now I will go straight to V 5 ) BUT here is my question ?? on all my helis when I am head holding mode, when I give rudder input.... the tail blades would always stay where I put them and NOT "bounce" back to center when the stick was let go ( no I don't fly that way ) BUT what ever I did during the V 4 update.. no matter if I have the settings at head hold or not my rudder servo is automatically going back to center? I always thought that in head holding you always had to move the stick for input ( yes I know the gyro straightens the tail out ) But when it is just sitting here on my desk it shouldn't ? I DO NOT fly any 3D yet and stay in the first heading hold mode.

So what have I done "wrong ? m Futaba Radio Gyro on switch E has the following settings UP > A 70%
CT > A 60 %
DN > N 60 %

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated..

Thanks !

Tom

Derek

Well, I dont know anything about the Futaba brand except I really like their 9 gram servos for my foamies. However, you mentioned that you are using the 3GX. I have the 3GX on my 450 and this was a question that I brought up, a while ago. The tail on my flybarred 500, while in Heading Hold Mode, will not recenter after giving an input while the helicopter is stationary and on the ground. In Rate Mode, the tail will recenter. My 450, on the other hand, the tail will recenter while in Heading Hold Mode and Rate Mode and I was told that the 3GX will do that. As long as you are in Heading Hold Mode, green light I believe, then you should be good to go.

murankar

Staff member
I think futaba has negative values for rate mode. Also 4.0 does have a tail issue that could be showing up although unlikely since you have no forces on the tail.

Rate mode the tail will bounce back to center and hh mode the tail slider will stay put until the next input or the nose returns to original heading.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Well, I dont know anything about the Futaba brand except I really like their 9 gram servos for my foamies. However, you mentioned that you are using the 3GX. I have the 3GX on my 450 and this was a question that I brought up, a while ago. The tail on my flybarred 500, while in Heading Hold Mode, will not recenter after giving an input while the helicopter is stationary and on the ground. In Rate Mode, the tail will recenter. My 450, on the other hand, the tail will recenter while in Heading Hold Mode and Rate Mode and I was told that the 3GX will do that. As long as you are in Heading Hold Mode, green light I believe, then you should be good to go.

Derek has hit the nail on the head, green light is head hold, red is rate, the blades will move back to near enough centre on HH as the gyro has not sensed a movement from the heli, it's looking for input and action.

I tested my 3gx after Derek asked this very same question a while back, that's what he was remembering

Geeforce

Hi All,

Not to hi-jack this thread, but the question was close enough to mine.
I have a Trex 600N with a 3GX FBL system running on V5.
When I hover the heli and push the rudder to the left and release the stick, the rudder stays put, but when I do the same in the opposite direction the tail kicks back to it's initial position. If I push the rudder stick lightly to either direction and the tail moves slowly, it stays put.
Any ideas?

Thanx!!!

treff

Hi Geeforce If you find an answer to your problem would you please let me know because I have the identical problem on my 450.
running 3gx v5 and the problem really is identical. Cheers.

Slobberdog

Set the tail up so that you get no drift in rate mode by adjusting the length of your control rod, then reset you limits in your rudder set up on the 3gx light 4 in sequence if I remember correctly, once you done that try it in head hold mode and you should be ok,

In V3.1 my tail was set up as the manual, and it was perfect, but it was not quite in V5, so done this alteration as told by Dave of RR and now my tail behaves perfectly,

treff

Thanks Kev. I have tried that but still the tail bounces back to centre when left rudder is applied. I have also checked tx and that's
okay. I will go back to version 4 because that work great for me or infact dump the 3gx all together. It's been a pain really. I have
a clone of the beastx so will fit that instead. Cheers

Geeforce

As promised, my findings:

I'm using a Hi-Tec Aurora 9X and in it's gyro settings you have two options, one - T-Locking mode or two NOR mode.
I've set my gyro to NOR mode on the radio and adjusted some trim on the radio, zero'd it out by setting my linkage now, the tail is 100% and rock solid, it actually feels better than before!!!

Geeforce

Yeah, I'm also glad to state that it was more the settings on the radio than the 3GX.
This 3GX gyro's has taken a beating from critics, but this time around it was all on the radio!!
Thanx for the help though, much appreciated!!

Cheers!!

JJL

I know this thread is over a month old but maybe someone can shed some light ....I have an align 3GX running V4 SW and my tail is acting as if it was in rate mode instead of HH mode. When on the ground when I give it right or left input the slider returns to center when I release the rudder stick and when in flight whenever I give the tail any input as soon as I release the rudder stick the tail snaps or kicks back ; this is specially noticeable when I give right rudder, as soon as I release the stick it kicks back to the left a bit hard. The gyro has the green light on signaling that it is in HH mode but both in the air and on the ground it is acting like it's in rate mode, BTW..Using a Futaba radio.

On the ground when I change from HH to rate mode there is no noticeable difference in the tail movement, at both instances the slider returns to the middle.

The tail does not feel locked in and it does have a small drift, I did manage to fly 3 packs but all the time I was constantly trying to control the tail.

Any help would really be appreciated since I have been trying to reconstruct this heli for the last 2 months and have had some many setbacks and problems that I wouldn't know where to begin to describe them, one example of all the stuff I have been through is that the old owner probably didn't know that there is a thing called blue thread locker so he used red thread locker on ALL THE SCREWS that where going into metal and as you can imagine....about 95 % of the screws on a Trex 450 pro go into metal. Then there is the part about using epoxy to attach the tail to the tail boom...man I can write a book about all the things this guy did to this heli.

Well now, after countless hours of work and not to mention all the $$$$ (would have come out cheaper to buy a new kit) I invested, I finally have the heli in the air now all I need is to solve the tail issue.

Regards,

JJL

JJL

This is a known issue with V4. Upgrade to V5.0 and it should lock in.

Thank you for your prompt reply Tony.

When I do the upgrade to V5 will I have to do all the setup procedures in dir mode again?

And one final question, can I use the same values that I currently have on the 3 gx software (roll rates, flip rates, etc.)?

I ask this because I have read that when some people upgraded from 3.1 to 4.0 and tried to use the same values they had on the old version, their helis where much more agile or reacted more violently than with the 3.1 version.

Again, thank you!!

JJL

Tony

Staff member
I would highly suggest running through them just to make sure nothing has changed. Most times, it will stay the same, but better safe than sorry with these things.

yes, you can use the same rates. set your pots to 105 and your roll and flip rates to what you have now and it should fly pretty well.

If you are worried, look at your current setting and find out there you are from the stock areas (red lines on teh graph). Then just translate that over to the new settings and you should be good. IMO, set your roll and flip rates lower than you would normally fly, then raise them once you know how it's going to handle them.

If you have not seen my video on Flight mode settings both on the computer, and how to do them on the gyro it's self, check them out by clicking on the Articles tab at the top and going into the 3GX section.

Let me know if you need any help. That is what we are here for.

JJL

I would highly suggest running through them just to make sure nothing has changed. Most times, it will stay the same, but better safe than sorry with these things.

yes, you can use the same rates. set your pots to 105 and your roll and flip rates to what you have now and it should fly pretty well.

If you are worried, look at your current setting and find out there you are from the stock areas (red lines on teh graph). Then just translate that over to the new settings and you should be good. IMO, set your roll and flip rates lower than you would normally fly, then raise them once you know how it's going to handle them.

If you have not seen my video on Flight mode settings both on the computer, and how to do them on the gyro it's self, check them out by clicking on the Articles tab at the top and going into the 3GX section.

Let me know if you need any help. That is what we are here for.

Tony not only have I seen your vids, I have learned them by heart. Had it not been for those videos I would not have gotten this far with the 3GX...so thank you.

i'm already downloading v5 firmware and if work and weather permits, should have everything setup for test flight on Saturday or Sunday. Will let you know how it goes.

One thing I found is that on the 3GX v4 software my rudder lock gain was set to 70 % and through all my on-line investigation a few people have mentioned that 70% is to high to lower it to 45 or 50 % and that should help getting the tail sorted out. My question to you is that once I upgrade to V5, should I leave that value at 70% (don't know if that is the default value of V5) or lower it to 50%?

Either way, if V5 also fails at solving the tail issue, then my last try at the 3GX would be to install V3.1 to see if that works out.

Regards,

JJL

Tony

Staff member
IMO, it's better to have too low of a tail gain than too high. So I would lower it to 50. And be careful with 3.1. It HATES to be on the ground and will tip over when it's spooling up. You must get it up into the air as soon as you can.

Top Bottom