FBL Gyro 3gx issue - Blade 300x

JonProphet

Well something new. I've lost all rudder anti-torque compensation. I haven't changed anything but it will not move when I move the tail left or right. I'm not getting pretty frustrated with this unit.

-JD-

- - - Updated - - -

I went back into rudder setup. In the setup its compensating but when you go into flight mode, it doesn't.

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the 3GX. Once you get it working, it's okay. But the hours of tuning on it to get it just right discourages many people and they give up on it. I will admit, even after all of the videos that I have made of the gyro, and as much as I know about it, I have as well given up on the 3GX. It's just not worth the time that it requires.

My opinion, if you have the money, get the AR7200BX, the stock gyro for that helicopter. Bone stock settings, that thing will be rock solid. I'm playing with the 7200bx on my 450 right now, and it's more stable than it's ever been. Next up, the Ikon :biggrin1:

JonProphet

But how does it suddenly lose the tail torque compensation? I'm on 5.0 should I try an older version? I don't mind tweaking things but I won't tolerate erratic behavior.

I have a 7200bx on my 450x. I need to get this 300x going on the 3gx.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, drop down to version 2.1. 3 sucks on the ground, and 4 sucks in the air with tail issues. 2.1 was the last stable version. That one is more simple to set up than any of the others, less 1.2 that is.

Tony

Staff member
5.0 has it's quarks as you are finding out. Seems that different people have different issues. It's a weird one, that's for sure.

JonProphet

I went back to 2.1. Setup everything again, but I'm still not getting anything on the Anti-torque compensation. It still isn't moving the servo. In the setting, the gyro will but outside of that it won't.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean by "it still isn't moving the servo". Anti-torque works when you apply full throttle to keep the tail from kicking out. The only real way of testing this is to take it outside, get it in a hover, and do hard collective punch outs.

JonProphet

I can't get to that point. When spooling up, the tail swings counter-clockwise at less than 50%. When I have the heli in my hand and rotate it one way or the other, the slider is not moving at all to compensate for the rotation. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

When setting up the anti-torque compensation in the rudder setup menu, the slider will compensate when rotation the tail one way or the other.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I think you are needing to reverse the tail correction direction. This is done in the tail setup menu and doesn't have anything to do with the anti-torque. That will be the 3rd light in the rudder setup menu.

JonProphet

I've done that. Nothing is helping. If I change the setting, it still should still be moving the slider but in the wrong direction (at least one would think) when moving the tail. The tail isn't moving at all.

- - - Updated - - -

It was working when I made the previous video. Something happened and I'm not sure what. I don't believe I changed anything in the gyro. It just stopped the compensation.

Tony

Staff member
What are your settings in the gyro menu? Are you in HH mode with at least 35% gyro gain?

JonProphet

I figured it out. My gryo switch on my Dx8 was in position 1. Even though the gyro programming in the dx8 is inhibited, when I powered up the heli, I had 2 red LED's. When I went to position 0, I went to green and red and the tail is now trying to compensate again. Back to the drawing board on setup.

Tony

Staff member
You will want to enable that gyro menu. As I stated in post #32, you must run at least 35% (usually) of positive gain for the gyro. Anything less and it will drift.

JonProphet

Ok, now we are making progress! I'm sorry, but in my limited flying experience, I've never used the Gyro menu or the Gyro switch on the DX8. I've flown FBL heli's before but as I said its been the NANO Cpx and the 130x.

Anyhow, I have the switch setting in the System menu set to Aux2. I have the Gyro menu set to Switch: F Mode. I have the gains at 0.0 in Normal - St1 is 35, St2 is 35 and Hold is -35. I found a post by someone on Heli Freak where he set his to 50% across the board and negative 50 on hold. I can't fly now as the snow is flying pretty fierce.

THanks.

Tony

Staff member
Here is how I would set that up. If you are using only satellite Rx, and not a standard Rx, they yes, your channel will be Aux2. However, if you are using a standard Rx with the 3GX, then you need to set the gyro channel to Gear. Set the switch to the gyro switch (unless you want it on F-Mode, which I suggest against until you start flying pretty hard core 3D and need the absolute max tail hold) and set the numbers as follows

Position 0: 45%
Position 1: 0%
Position 2: -100%

The reason for this is you will always fly in position 0, or the switch all the way up. This will put your helicopter into HH mode and it will be the most stable. Position 1 is to test the tail if you ever need to without input from the gyro. You can set this to another positive value, such as 40% just in case you think 45% is going to be too high. Position 2 is going ot be used right before each flight. It is used to center the tail blades on the helicopter. When you move the heli, the tail blades are going to move, and because it's in HH mode, it's going to hold that position. So right before you spool up, flip the switch down into 2, then back into 0. This will center yoru blades.

Doing it this way will get rid of the Hold setting. You never want to use a negative value when you are in the air. If your tail is not 100% accurately and correctly set up, the tail can and will drift off, quite quickly in most cases, causing a loss in orientation and ultimately a crash.

Hope this helps and didn't sound too confusing.

JonProphet

Well disaster. I went to do a test hover again. Using your settings the heli went violently left on IU2 just trying to get off the ground. Destroyed my cf main blades, main gear and stripped my cyclic gears. I tested twice both with the same result. On gyro position 0 the tale blades wouldn't adjust with tale turn but would recenter, on position 1 the gyro wouldn't recenter and would adjust when tale was rotated.

Top Bottom