450 3GX is driving me crazy

Dougf

Well,not sure this is where I put this question!You guys have really put me off fitting this 3GX!my son has bought a used Helicommand 3D for my birthday,what a good son he is!is this something you would recommend I fit to this HK450 flybarless heli? As I am a visual learner rather than reading instructions,there seems to be little video instruction out there,there is one from Gary Graham which is ok but doesn't show the PC setup,found some instructions on rcheliaddicts forum but little else.What do you guys recommend?I have some questions about fitting the signal wires from module to receiver as I have a DX6i and I think this needs 7 channels.

Tony

Staff member
I unfortunately have never had one of these so I have no idea how to set them up. But I know others on here have had them, or still have them and I"m sure they will help out. Anything is better than that 3GX when you are just starting out. Get proficient with flying, then you can try to tune the 3GX, but you need the muscle memory first. Keep us posted on how it's going.

Smoggie

I've no experience of the Helicommand 3D though in principle it should be a good little gizmo to help you over the initial hovering stage of heli flight.

I did a bit of googling and apparently you can use the Hellicommand with 6 channels but to do so you use the Helicommand's own internal tail gyro rather than the tail gyro built into your FBL controller. I guess the main downside is that it adds another layer of complexity into setting the heli up and doing this all on your own with no previous experience is quite a challenge even with a basic setup.

What would be the best move is looking up an RC flying club in your area and going down there to get some help.

Dougf

I did an intense Google search and found that for a flybarless system I would need the Helicommand Rigid,the Helicommand 3D I have is a stabilisation aid for flybar helis.Ill keep it for when I build another with a flybar!I have bought a flight sim which I am giving a good bashing!Thanks all for your replies.

Tony

Staff member
Oh yea, you are right, it is for a flybar helicopter. See, I have not played with them before lmao. Keep us posted when you get the new heli to play with and how it works.

Smoggie

Google to the rescue!.. True enough the article I found did say it was only for flybar, i just didn't read it thoroughly enough.

to be honest though the helicommand and similar add on stabilisers are quite 'old hat' these days. Now there are several flybarless controllers with far more advanced and reliable self leveling stabilisation that the helicommand offered. If self leveling stabilisation is what you are looking for then my advice would be to get one of those controllers. The iKon and the Spirit are among the best value FBL that have this feature.

Dougf

Well,I've ditched the 3GX and bought a BeastX off EBay.I had a look on YouTube and there are quite a few videos on there on fitting and setting up,looks straight forward.If I have any issues I know where to get the answers now!

Tony

Staff member
There is actually a beastx for sale here on the forum for a bill. It's an AR7200BX. And I have BX setup videos so no worry there.

Top Bottom