1 Rc-help.com Flight School

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

1 Rc-help.com Flight School

Hello everyone, for those of you that don’t know me, my name is Tony and I am the owner and founder of www.Rc-Help.com. I have been in the RC world since 1994 but I have only been flying for a couple years. During this time, I have tried to find every way I could to learn how to fly. I have joined forums, watched videos, and read articles. Nothing really worked 100%. There is a lot of bad information out there. It caused me to crash quite a bit. So, once I figured out how to fly, I decided I would teach others what worked for me. Now don't get me wrong, there is a lot of great information out there as well, but as a new pilot, how do you know what is good and what isn’t?

In this article, I will show you step-by-step what has helped me the most in learning how to fly. We will start with the basics, then move on to more challenging areas as you progress and feel comfortable with the current lesson. I must stress, do not move on until you feel comfortable. If you do, then you could get stressed out, and it could lead to a crash. This is not going to be a "per day" or "per battery pack" How To Fly series, this is going to be a "move on when you feel you can move on" series. If you feel 5 minutes into the instruction you have it down pat, then by all means, move onto the next step. But, if you do not feel comfortable, then stick with the current lesson until you do.

There is no way I can tell you when you are ready to move on by saying, "after 1 battery pack, move to this lesson". There is just no way. Everyone is different, and everyone will learn at a different pace. If you try to move too fast, then you will more than likely crash.

Speaking of crashes brings me to my next point. When you fly, there is a saying: "It's not if you Crash, it's When". And, this is very true. Everyone is going to crash; it's just a matter of time. I have crashed more times than I really want to count. Some because of bad instruction and some because of "Dumb Thumbs". Just be ready and have parts on hand, because it will happen.

So, you have your helicopter all built and ready to go and it's time to go fly ... not so fast. Do you have any idea what any of the sticks do? Do you know what will happen if a gust of wind comes up? Well then, how are you going to fly? I think you need some instruction which has a onetime fee rather than parts after parts. I think you need a Simulator.

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

kidd

I agree, I have wasted at least 4 sets of clock wise and counter clock wise props already, next purchase, a simulator :)

littlelaffer

Video Added.
Hi Tony my name is Matt from Spalding Lincs Uk and i just wanted to say thanks for letting me join your forum and im hoping you and others will help me fly my Trex 600 Dominator without having to spent a fortune and enjoy the hobby as i expected to acouple of years ago but its been more annoying and costing me the earth so far, at first i started with the esky belt cp 450 because thats all i could afford and to be honest i only ever hovered yes hovered afew times i never did get to fly her properly most of the time it were take off then bang straight into the ground again for some reason i could never get her to fly properly, but then i came into some money and were able to buy myself abrand new Trex 600 Dominator and a decent Dx9 and because of past experiences i thought id better get something to help me fly so i also got the Bavarian Demon 3SX, ive only flown her once so far and for the first time on a flybarless and big heli i managed to hover untill my lipos ran out but because i got down the field without the proper ties to tie my trainer gear onto my trex i took off without it "Bad Mistake" because on landing the ground wasnt level and the tip of my blade it the ground ripping my trex apart, so ive just finished putting her back together and before my next flight i want to find out more about flying her because ive not got alot of money to keep spending on parts and this is where im hoping i can get all that help and advice from and hopefully do abit more then just a 5 min hover, so thanks again Tony and hope to get to know you abit more with my journey through you forum.

Tony

Staff member
I will do all I can to help you out, all you have to do is ask.

This series is not finished, and I really need to reshoot it. It will come in time, I promise.

As for flying, these things are HARD to fly. Your best investment is going to be a GOOD simulator. Since you fly heli's and you have the DX9, get the Phoenix simulator, it's WELL WORTH the price, trust me!

Always use training gear when you are just starting out. It will keep it from tipping over as you have found out. Your muscle memory is not developed enough yet to know what to do in that situation. And as you found out, repairing a 600 size helicopter is quite expensive.

After you practice on a sim for at least a MONTH, get yourself a 450 with a BeastX gyro (AR7200BX or whatever) or an Ikon. They are cheaper than the Demon and work just as well. And the Ikon has self level if you set it up properly. And if you crash a 450, you are only out about $50 rather than $300.

Again, ask questions, start threads and take videos of your flights. It helps us help you more than you know.

littlelaffer

Thanks for reply Tony, yes i have the Phoenix 5 but cant afford another heli as on sick benefit at the mo so its all going to have to be with my Trex unfortunately, and yes your right about using the sim to get that hand and eye coordination, muscle memory, hope to speak to you in another month or so Tony with next steps, thanks ago so far with your vids great help.

Top Bottom