Hi

TomChip

Hi RC Helpers
My name is Tom and I am just getting restarted on RC airplanes. I was an avid model builder in my school age days, airplanes, hot rods, HO train set layouts, a few battle ships for sinking purposes.... c'mon who didn't do that?? :) Then when my son was old enough we built another HO layout (3 main lines, a yard, 4 transformers and 27 switch tracks on 2 levels. Then 8 years ago I bought a Sapac Wilga 2000. Assembled it right out of the box, and immediately crashed it on takeoff destroying it almost completely. so I figured not enough training time and bought another one. Same result, so they went into the attic. But school days, and work days have come and gone, kids grow up and get lives of their own.

Finding much more time on my hands after I retired last spring, I asked my wife to find my model hobby boxes and all the pieces and parts to my 2 Wilga 2000 RC models stashed deep in the recesses of the attic (I'm afraid to go up there... she might make me clean it...) I dragged all of it out to my shop... then I put it all outside again... cleaned my shop, dragged all that stuff back into the shop and sorted through a life time of hobby junk. WHAT FUN!!! That took about a week or so. Then I decided to rebuild the Wilga that had the least amount of damage. Running into a couple of technical issues that I could not resolve while laying in bed at night trying to fall asleep (yeah I know.. you probably do that too) I discovered that the internet had become a WEALTH of RC knowledge that was not available during my earlier days.

[Flash to present day]

So the first Wilga is pretty much rebuilt thanks to the poor folks that have lived through the heart ache of flying a Sapac Wilga 200 right out of the box and then posted their mods on the internet at Everything Wilga. Many mods were needed for it to fly well... or should I say "well.. fly"? I am now rebuilding the 2nd one, which has one broken wing, the other is MIA. No tail or rudder, and a badly chewed up fuselage.... OK.. in reality I just have a few servos and a motor. :) I found the Experimental Airlines videos on building an Armin wing out of $1 Foam Board and packing tape and made new wings. While researching different ways to install dual aileron servos on the internet today I found this site. I liked the NO BASHING of NOOBS rule, cause believe me I am a wicked NOOB to all this RC airplane stuff. Having only a little talent and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Thanks for letting me join.
Tom

View attachment 15011

Lee

Welcome to the forum Tom :)
We would love to see some photos of your rebuilds.

Heliman450

Hi TomChip, welcome to the Forum. Have you thought of getting a simulator? Mine has helped tremendously since the guys here helped me get it set up properly. Crashes don't cost any more than the simulator did and you can get flying (or trying to) straight away without any frustration. Good luck!

Top Bottom