500 Align Trex 500-XT

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
One other thing, Rob, you may have to run the receiver set up menu. Perhaps it is set on satellite instead of standard receiver. Honestly, sounds like possibly the receiver type is not set.

Rob Lancaster

One other thing, Rob, you may have to run the receiver set up menu. Perhaps it is set on satellite instead of standard receiver. Honestly, sounds like possibly the receiver type is not set.

Yup definitely must do the RX setup. that would explain a couple of things. You and Randy are on it. Plus the dumb thing I did was I forgot to plug back in two of the motor wires. So when I went to set the throttle calibration, no more beeps! Now I got beeps and the throttle calibration was a cinch..

Onward to the ESC program box. I can get it to turn on but after I push (ok), it goes to (connecting to ESC) and stays that way. Can the software in my box be updated to accommodate the new ESC? Or do you need the exact program box for the ESC to do the trick? Remember, I'm trying to use my HobbyWing program box with this Align ESC. I was told by Align that it should work but you never know.

RandyDSok

ESC's are not standardized and even ones made by a specific company can vary according to model. I've seen at least two ( possibly 4 since some had different colors on them ) Hobbywing programmer box/cards and they each listed different model ESC's that they work with. I have also heard that Align ( and others ) have rebranded some models of the Hobbywing ESC's but which ones I can't say as I never saw a list of them. So the info you got from Align will depend on that persons experience level also.

On the Hobbywing programming box that I saw with a LCD screen on it ( not just digital LED numbers )... it required that the ESC was plugged directly into the box as shown in it's manual. The manual I read referred you to the ESC's manual to find out which wires the signals used for programming were on since these differ as well and then use the supplied cable to connect them.

So first you need to verify if the Align ESC is a rebranded Hobbywing and which model it would be. Then look at the manuals for the programmer you have as well as the ESC's manual.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
The program box can be updated but I have never updated mine and I've had it for years. I have used the HW box on the BL100 and the BL130 no problem. Pretty sure the 80 is a rebranded HW as well. Where are you plugging the box in on the ESC? Don't forget you have to power the ESC too.

Last edited:

Rob Lancaster

The program box works perfectly now!
Ok, here's what happened. It's like you guys said. It was a wiring thing. When I first plugged in the program box's lead into the Align ESC, there were no polarizing marks on it or in the manual. So I looked at my HobbyWing ESC's markings, (It had markings) and plugged it in that way and forgot about it. Turns out, you're right guys, with the Align BL-80 and the like, you must reverse the program box's lead at the ESC so all the color codes will be correct and it will work fine. The throttle limits are done and all the programming is done,, BOOM!!! Nice! Onto the Beast gyro. I can't wait to be able to understand that hi-tech thing.
Thanks, stay tuned.........................

Rob Lancaster

Hey guys, I still can't get the receiver to setup.
I'm getting a flashing red status indicator and menu A is on yellow and blinking.
Book says my plugs are in wrong. Could be. I'm confused at where the red and brown (single wire plugs) go on my AR8000 RX. Does the red pitch wire go in my AUX port and the brown wire go in my gear port?

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yes, brown in channel 5 or gear for the gyro and red in aux 1 for the pitch servo. Now for the receiver menu, you should only have the receiver wires plugged in to the microbeast. Remember the receiver and the beastx have to be bound to the TX first. The system needs to see a valid signal being transmitted. Your transmitter also needs to be setup for the beastx. If this is what you're doing it should work.

Rob Lancaster

Yes, brown in channel 5 or gear for the gyro and red in aux 1 for the pitch servo. Now for the receiver menu, you should only have the receiver wires plugged in to the microbeast. Remember the receiver and the beastx have to be bound to the TX first. The system needs to see a valid signal being transmitted. Your transmitter also needs to be setup for the beastx. If this is what you're doing it should work.
So in other words, No servos plugged in, right?

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Right, normally you would do this on first power up after you bind the system. What's confusing me is if the Beastx is new it should have been defaulted to standard receiver.

RandyDSok

Servo wire colors ... just to touch on it since it was brought up. I'd only seen two possibly three combinations used ... so some of this is new to me also. I feel they should have kept the positive and negative leads together in the color chart since the signal is almost always on one side or the other typically... but that's me.

servo_wirecolor.gif

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Servo wire colors ... just to touch on it since it was brought up. I'd only seen two possibly three combinations used ... so some of this is new to me also. I feel they should have kept the positive and negative leads together in the color chart since the signal is almost always on one side or the other typically... but that's me.

View attachment 25062
Thanks RandyDSok for this information. Just what I needed for my files:hdbng:

Rob Lancaster

View attachment 25062

Yeah, me too! Only Red in the middle, Orange or white on one side and brown/black on the other. That way, you can't short it out.

Anywho,, I made this switch/adapter so I don't fumble with the power connector on power-up. Next I removed all servo connectors and tried again to do the RX-set-up. Huston, we still have a problem. Now the status light settles down on blue? And menu -A- is on solid? Shouldn't the status light be purple because i'm using a Spektrum AR8000 DSMX/DSM2 receiver? And the menu be on -B-? The Transmitter and receivers show on.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Good deal on the switch, makes it much easier. When you first step into the receiver menu, the A light should flash and the status LED should show the current receiver type. Then you push the button quickly and it should auto scan and find the type. Status light off for standard receiver. I suggest you go to beastx.com then support then Wiki and click Microbeast plus. It will make more sense when you see it on your computer screen.

Last edited:

RandyDSok

I made this switch/adapter

Ummmm ... no.

I'm afraid that when it comes to switches, they need to be made for the voltage and current load they are intended for "breaking" the circuit at. The switch will arc out if you use it in that manner causing a failure at some point. Unless they have come up with a switch for the voltage and current you are going to use lately that I'm unaware of, the only work around I've seen that is accepted as safe is another inline plug and those were using standard RC battery plugs. I've only seen those on airplanes so they could avoid having to take off a wing to unplug the battery.

Rob Lancaster

Ummmm ... no.

I'm afraid that when it comes to switches, they need to be made for the voltage and current load they are intended for "breaking" the circuit at. The switch will arc out if you use it in that manner causing a failure at some point. Unless they have come up with a switch for the voltage and current you are going to use lately that I'm unaware of, the only work around I've seen that is accepted as safe is another inline plug and those were using standard RC battery plugs. I've only seen those on airplanes so they could avoid having to take off a wing to unplug the battery.

Randy, I'm not going to run the motor current through it, it's just for ease of setup. The switch will be removed when everything's cool..

Rob Lancaster

Oh guys, I think I tried everything but I can't bind the MicroBeast to the TX. ARGGGG!!
I'm starting to think perhaps, my Spektrum AR8000 with Satellite may not be compatible with the Beast.
They talk of more info on it but I can't find it.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Bingo Rob, I just went back and looked at your AR8000. Its DSM2. My bad for not seeing that before. But they say the microbeast is compatible with DSMX or DSM2 receivers with SRXL output so maybe it. Wouldn't hurt to update to a late model receiver anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom