FBL Gyro ZYX-S

murankar

Staff member
Since I have no basis on this gyro all I can say is that it works. Setup is taking longer that I had expected but hey its my first time on a fbl unit. Default settings on my setup have been doing well except my collective has been lethargic during quick stick movements, I just made a 15 point adjust to the positive side of default on the pitch D gain and now it behaves more like I think it should.

For the other P.I.D. gains still not sure how to adjust those numbers. While in IU 2 when I give quick cyclic input the heli will shake a little and then eventually will settle out. I reduced the overall gain on roll by 5 points and still have that shake, so I think I have to adjust the PID numbers to calm it down.

murankar

Staff member
So far on default heli settings on 3D mode are doing good. While in normal mode everything seems to be just fine at default settings. Overall setup was straight forward with the 3rd party pc software (Flybarless Gyro Programming Software) I got the app to work on my android with blue tooth so I can make adjustments on the fly (no pun intended). My tail setup is really the only real thing that's been giving me a problem. Right now I get it almost dead on for Head hold mode but for rate I have yet to work out the settings.

This gyro is good for planes and multi rotors also.

Lee

I had the ZYX but not the S version.
I found it easy to set up to a flyable level, but fine tuning it took a lot of patience and time.
For the money, I think its a great option.
I'm interested in the Robird unit as a comparison.

murankar

Staff member
Isn't that a rebranded ZYX?

I got the heli in the air for more tweeking. Under the advanced menu on my phone I have my P I D gains for the pitch and roll. Here is what I have at the moment:

Roll Gain P100Pitch Gain P85
Roll Gain I100Pitch Gain I100
Roll Gain D50Pitch Gain D40
Acceleration125Deceleration55
RC Deadband40Gyro Deadband4
Burst Coefficience20

Nw there is the settings I have under the basic menu option also (Started with Soft 3D and adjusted from there).

Main Rotor: Roll
Agility35
Gain40
Main Rotor: Pitch
Agility35
Gain40
Tail Rotor:
Yaw Rate L50
Yaw Rate R50
Gain100

These settings are for my heli only. If you need a starting point I would suggest doing what I did, start at soft 3D and adjust from there.

I think I might be replacing my feathering shaft and main shaft, I have increased vibrations and I have had a few hard skid bumps so I will check that tonight.

As for the handling, it's getting better and my responsive to quick stck movments and the violent shaking has been reduced. I still see some minimal shaking but that could be due to the vibrations in the frame. I heard this gyro hates vibratrions and the slightest ones will cause this to act up so will see later.

Lee

On my Trex 500 I had to add some tail comp to keep it in place, but that was it really.
Enjoy it mate.

murankar

Staff member
Trying to, i think I am more happy to be flying again. I really need to get out more and fly. More work tomorrow on it. Thanks for the tail comp thing, how do you figure out how to adjust it? How can you tell you need to add it? I am sure if the tail blows out when giving collective i am sure it needs adjusted.

Last edited:

Lee

To be honest, I guessed whether to add or subtract tail comp. And luckily, i chose the right one :D

murankar

Staff member
I need to get the tail super locked in before messing with that. Right now the tail has a very slight drift to the left and I have been chasing this for about 20 flights. I have changed the push rod length many times from short to long. I have slid the servo mount up and down the boom and have set the parameters in the software many times and have yet to get that sweet spot, especially in rate mode. So I wounder if this is what tail pre-comp is for?

Top Bottom