Yet another RC Heli Noobie

Squizzy

G'day everyone,

Got a HK500GT kit for my 40th a couple of months ago which was a pretty random present really. But since then I have been bitten by the bug.

I signed up to this forum for more info, really. And if I can talk to some decent folks along the way, even better.

Catch ya later.

Squiz...

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Squiz. you can get more info here than you can handle lol. And there are some great members here as well that are willing to chat about anything. if there are any questions you may have, just let us know. We will be more than happy to help.

:welcome1:

Squizzy

Thanks Tony, much appreciated.

And don't worry, the questions will come. I just have to work out the correct words for parts that I'm calling "thingamejigs" or "whosewatchits". :friendly_wink:

Cheers,
Squiz

Tony

Staff member
lmao, we all started out calling them that lol. Then you will learn what the washout arme, mixing arms, swash, collective, and cyclic are. There are many more, but I'm tired and that is all I could remember lmao

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I am continually amazed at the people we get on here from all over the world! Welcome to the site ... as said, you're in good hands :D

zapster

yeah welcome aboard !!! cool i just got that same heli.Have you got your electronics/servos,motor,Electronic speed control,a radio and receiver?

Squizzy

yeah welcome aboard !!! cool i just got that same heli.Have you got your electronics/servos,motor,Electronic speed control,a radio and receiver?

G'day Zapster. Apologies for the veeery late reply. Yes, I have got some electronic gear, etc. When I get home tonight, I'll let you know. Basically all from Hobby King though.

Cheers,
Squiz

Squizzy

Okay, so this is the list so far;

Hobby King 500H Heli Motor 1600kv (500 Class)
Turnigy Brushless ESC 85A w/5A SBEC
Turnigy King Programming Card for Tz85A ESC
Turnigy Nano Tech 2650 6S 35~70C Lipo pack (I only got one of these - obviously going to need a few more batteries but not sure if this one's the way to go)
Turnigy MG930 Digital Metal Gear Servo 3.6Kg/26g/0.14sec x3 off
HKS 9257 High Speed Servo 4.5Kg/25g/0.07sec
Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock Gyro
Spektrum DX6i

Still need more batteries (and a clue on how to put them in series) and a charger/balancer thingy too.

murankar

Staff member
check out this charger Thunder AC6 . It is selling for about $45 dollars. The only thing you may have to check is the connectors. Depending on the style on your battery matches any of the ones that come with it. I am changing my battery connectors to deans and will have to make a deans connector for the charger. Or just buy one. It's like $2 cheaper at amazon.com to just make it. Also my charger did not come with the software but is downloadable. But that is only needed if you plan on using your computer to track the charging process. Has loads of nice features, have not figured all of them out yet. Hope this helps.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I have a Thunder AC6 and like it very much. It will handle most batteries you can throw at it and can be operated off of AC or DC power. If you use a Deans connector, you'll need to purchase the adapter (even though it comes with a plethora of other ones, lol).

j1273

Welcome mate from a fellow forum and heli noob
Im in the middle of my first build. Thread in the 450 sction.
Strangely you seem to call your stuff the same as us brits do! Ive got loads of wossnames and whojumaflips to stick on my chopper too!!!
Jay

Tony

Staff member
On the 500, you should have to run batteries in series if you are running a 6s. Lee and I both run the Turnity 3000mah 6s batteries in the 500. Or well, I did run that battery until I sold my helicopter lol. Balanced out great as well.

If you go to a 600 size helicopter, you will have to run them in series, but not with the 500.

Squizzy

On the 500, you should have to run batteries in series if you are running a 6s. Lee and I both run the Turnity 3000mah 6s batteries in the 500. Or well, I did run that battery until I sold my helicopter lol. Balanced out great as well.

If you go to a 600 size helicopter, you will have to run them in series, but not with the 500.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Tony, so I only need one battery rather than two? If so, happy days!! Keeping in mind that I'm only going to be hovering (or attempting to) for a wee while yet.

Of course, my next question would be, "how long would these batteries last on a single 'learning to hover' flight?".

And my last question. Would you like me to stop posting in this section of the forums and start on the Heli section instead?

Cheers again lads,
Squiz

Tony

Staff member
Correct. the 2650mah 6s battery is suggested for the trex heli, and will work. May be just a hair tail heavy but not enough to really worry about. It should allow you a good 6-8 minutes of hovering per charge. Trust me, it doesn't sound like a long time, but you will be tired after your first few flights lol.

and Yeah, if you would, make a thread in the 500 heli section with your questions. I have been having too much fun with this forum to even realize we were doing all of this in here hahaha.

also, if you are getting the HK500GT, then when you make a thread, I have a parts list you need to get. I had a hell of a time trying to get my helicopter to actually fly, and it took some parts to get it to fly right. EXI and Align. I suggest you get these parts BEFORE you make your first flight. Zapster will back me up on this. I will also post a link to my thread where I was fighting this beast. Look forward to seeing your new thread.

When it comes to batteries their is two main one's. one is the 7.4 v that you probably wont need to worry about since you have 500class heli.the type of batt that you will be using will be 11.1 v. the MA= millamps veries. like 1000,1500,2200,2600 etc,etc.The higher the millamps the longer the fly time. Now going off memory the 1000 ma is 12 - 15min fly time, 1500ma is about 20min fly time, 2600ma is i think 35min.I chould be wrong on the times abit.Remember that im trying to remember the times on some of the batteries,but that should give you a good idea on how to tell the fly time that you get. Basicly the bigger the MA the longer the fly time

Tony

Staff member
I have to correct you there. there are a number of batteries, 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, all the way up to 12s. More if you wire them in series. There is no set amount of runtime that you get out of a particular battery. It all depends on the current draw of the motor and servos. Small planes and heli's will fly longer with a 1000mah battery than a 600 size heli or large plane on the same mah. There are a lot of factors that play into this, but motor and servo draw are the two biggest.

Top Bottom