600 YEP 100a ESC Timing and PWM Settings

DAL2855

Banned
I am about to start on the HK550 TT FBL build tomorrow and have been doing a lot of research about my motor and ESC combination going in this build, but cannot find anything about what the timing should be set at for the Align BL-600XL motor and YEP 100a ESC. I have done the formula to figure out the PWM settings and it should be set at 12kHZ if my figures are correct. 1650 x 22.2v x 6 poles = 219,780/20 = 10,989 which would be rounded up to the 12kHZ or should I round it down to 10kHZ? I would think to round up to the higher number.

But I have no clue what the timing degrees should be for the Align BL-600XL motor. Options I have are 0, 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 degrees of timing. I am thinking it should be either 6 or 12 degrees but dunno which would be the best. I will be running a 16T Pinion with 170T main gears. And do plan on setting up the Gov Store.

So any help here would be greatly appreciated guys!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and btw, will be running this on a 6S setup not 12S!

pvolcko

On timing: larger values will generally give more power, but at the expense of efficiency (ie. higher heat build up). I'd start at 0 or 6, as a baseline taking temp readings off the motor and ESC. Then bump to 12 and retemp check after a flight to see what it does. Also listen to the tone of things as you're flying and spinning up, be looking for "misses". If you try pitch pumps make sure to have some altitude in case there is a power drop due to mistiming (this is usually a pwm frequency issue, not advance timing).

In my testing and tweaking on a scorpion motor/CC ESC setup I found:
- 8khz would lead to mis firing during spin up and on pitch pumps would cause power drops. The drop would recover in a second or two.
- 12khz ended up working fine. Higher settings lead to higher heat buildup in the ESC and may lower heat in the motor (they have to be designed to benefit from the higher pulse frequency, though, otherwise no benefit).
- Tried 16khz, no perceived benefit in behavior so I backed down to 12khz.
- Lowest advance timing ended up where I was at for this motor (HK-4035-560). The CC ESC doesn't let you set by degrees since it auto-detects advance range. But you can control where in the detected range it will operate. Lowest (probably in the 0-3 degree range) produced the smoothest spin up and headspeed change and governing behavior. Medium setting (6ish probably) was good, but it seemed to run the motor very hot. At the time I didn't have a head gun to check so I opted for the low setting. I have the gun now so I may tweak again to see what the actual results are.

On my 550X Pro (Blade), I ended up with 8khz and medium timing. Runs cool as a cucumber (a lot less power flowing for it though, so that's expected).

DAL2855

Banned
Ok then should I try the autotiming feature of the ESC? It has this feature. And then set the PWM to 12kHZ? I am thinking that this might be my best bet!

PaulRC

I am about to start on the HK550 TT FBL build tomorrow and have been doing a lot of research about my motor and ESC combination going in this build, but cannot find anything about what the timing should be set at for the Align BL-600XL motor and YEP 100a ESC. I have done the formula to figure out the PWM settings and it should be set at 12kHZ if my figures are correct. 1650 x 22.2v x 6 poles = 219,780/20 = 10,989 which would be rounded up to the 12kHZ or should I round it down to 10kHZ? I would think to round up to the higher number.

But I have no clue what the timing degrees should be for the Align BL-600XL motor. Options I have are 0, 6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 degrees of timing. I am thinking it should be either 6 or 12 degrees but dunno which would be the best. I will be running a 16T Pinion with 170T main gears. And do plan on setting up the Gov Store.

So any help here would be greatly appreciated guys!

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and btw, will be running this on a 6S setup not 12S!

Here's how it works with out you needing to experiment on what settings are what.

Timing 0-12 are for in runner motors only! 18-30 are for out runner motors. Start with 18

PWM 10

Top Bottom