Quad Y6 with Spetrum DX 8 ... Please Help

Errol Levendall

Hi All
I guess you hear this all the time ... I'm new to this drone story, hee hee - well I guess I am when it comes to the Y6 and Spektrum DX8 units, I cut my teeth on a Phantom 3 Pro - which now looks like a Plug & Play version of what I have just bought.

Currently, I am wanting to understand and setup my new units so that I can safely go out and fly .....
I now have the following :
Y6 - Drone fitted with 6xKV :710 T-Motors.
Wookong Controller
Spektrum AR8000.
DJI GPS Unit.
Spektrum DX radio.

Everything works .... however, I would like to know how to fly the unit, what all the switches mean and do. How to program them .... How do I know if I have it in GPS - Atti or Failsafe mode - or how to get the return to home feature working and use it as well. Also can I program the unit to do a Course Lock or even a POI lock on the system,, if Yes then how do I program and turn it On/Off.

So I guess I qualify as a new newbie .... I can start the unit (taken off the props) but because I am not sure of the GPS, Fail Safe and RTH features ... I will not fly the unit. Also I'm not sure if the data on the SD Card on the Spektrum contains all the setting ... else I would have send a copy with this mail ..... I can read it, but it means very little to me at this stage.

Hope to hear from some one who might have the same set up as mine.

Have a Weekend please stay safe.
Fondest greetings from Cape Town South Africa.

Errol
the pix only to show the difference in size of theIMG-20210217-WA0018.jpgIMG-20210217-WA0021 (1).jpg

Tony

Staff member
First thing you will need to do is download the program for your computer that goes with your flight controller. In that program, you will find the different "banks" which will have enabled/disabled the different flight modes.

The SD card in the TX is only for the TX. If it is the stock card that came with the radio new, throw it away as those are junk. Get a good Sandisk card. But this card is used to update firmware and update/restore model information in the TX.

So find your program for the FC and have a look around.

Errol Levendall

Hi Tony,
Thanks so much for your reply. I will have another look for such a program .... at 71years old it take a bit longer to get thing going - I have load the DJL Wookong Assistant but it appears there might be one available that allows one to in fact read/see the contents of the on-board program - so let me me look up something along those lines.

All noted on the role of the SD Card and the TX (radio) ......

Hope finding the correct program is not too difficult.

enjoy the rest of your day and greetings from Cape Town South Africa.

Please take care and stay safe.
Errol

Errol Levendall

Hi Tony, (and all members WWW)

Just to let you know, I have today put the bird in the air ..... what a change from the Phantom 3 Pro ..... speed .... take off and then the flying ..... the Phantom, which i really enjoy seems like a drop in the ocean compared to the Y6 - but importantly its up and flying - Now back to all of those videos I down loaded, to understand the programming of the copter and there are many ...... help so there ... but after I was able to see the RTH and FS working, I was happy and felt confident with the help from an friend of mine here in Cape Town - so off I went.

I can tell you I used the DJI Assistant 2 - for the Wookong - because of my FC and the Spektrum AR8000 - and with a little help from my Friend Oscar, we got it going .... will be testing the take-off and land modes more than ever before and maybe for now adjust the throttle so that I can gracefully fly, because this is some brute of a machine >>>

Greetings from Cape Town
Take care and stay safe.
Errol

Errol Levendall

When I have the guts to do the Video I'll get it done ..... now I need to get use to this monster ,,,, Really this bird after the Phantom 3 is an eye opener for me. But I will get round it. Some more practice and adjustments to slow down the throttle power and I'll be fine.
Greetings from Cape Town

Top Bottom