Projects X-uav Skua Setup

RKowalske

Hello everyone!

I am new to RC planes and attempting to build a X-UAV Skua I have had laying around. I am strong on the network, transmitter, FPV side, but am horribly ignorant when it comes to power, motor, esc, etc. I hope you can help.

Looking for recommended setup for a 2721g setup (~6lbs). Wingspan is 2100mm and wing area is 59.5dm2. At 3kg of flying weight, the recommended drive is 2820KV1200 with 60A ESC and a 10x7 prop using a 4S Li-Po battery.

If you had to build this for ~120 minutes of flight time, what would you use?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

RandyDSok

Since I won't be able to answer your questions directly... I'm just going to provide some info that hopefully will be useful so you know more of what to expect.

Most powered RC planes are flown for sport, aerobatics, 3D and similar types of flight. As such... typical flight times are in the 10-20 minute range at most. This is because the motor is always on providing power and isn't used only momentarily like you may see in a glider or sailplane. So to get anywhere close to something like 2 hrs of flight, you'll need to use a lot of power management and only use the motor to regain altitude to then shut off the motor again and glide in between times regaining altitude. You will also probably use thermals and updrafts found around hills and mountains to regain altitude otherwise you are unlikely to get flight times anywhere close to that time.

Typically motors are measured two different ways.... the size of the outer "can" ... or the size of the stator inside the can. I have no way to know if the one they list as recommended is one or the other... For this reason, I'd go with the specific brand make/model they list and don't use what amounts to a generic size ie the 2820 portion of the size you listed. If you pick the wrong one, you'll end up having to customize the existing motor mount in order to properly fit the motor.

Most motors for powered airplanes like I mentioned previously, in a size similar to what you listed, have a much lower KV rating... somewhere in the 650 to 900 KV size because they are trying to use a much larger prop that doesn't spin as quickly. They are more after enough torque to pull around that ~6lbs of airplane around the sky.

Top Bottom