Wow, what a difference

murankar

Staff member
I just got done with the rebuild of my tail assembly. What a difference the new tail blade grips made. I dont recall the originals being this smooth. I just hope I used enough thread locker. This time I used way less than at first. It seems like I didnt put any on but i did.

When I got the new grips in the first thing I did after opening was test the smoothness of the bearings. It did seem like there was just a hint of roughness in there. I confimed with a few soldiers who know about bearings and they also confirmed my hunch. I deceided to say wait and see. I got back to the room and I carefully took out the open bearing and applied to drops of oil on both sides, just to make sure. Reassembled the bearings and the grips spun really free.

Next I went through and tested all the moving parts for smooth operations and I discovered a couple of not so good parts. Took it apart and cleand them up reassembled and discovered I put it back together backwards. So I corrected it and boy what a difference that made.

I hope to see if this soves my tail wag issue. My swag is that the servo was trying to work too hard to correct the problem and ended up over correcting and recorrecting that. So we shall see in the next few days what happens and I will post the very first spool up. I hope I dont get to carried away and actually try and fly before I finish the adjustments.

Two more, maybe three parts to go and the heli will be compleatly rebuilt with a new electrical system.

Lee

Cool deal. Always pays to take your time, and get it right first time.

murankar

Staff member
Yes it does. I gues I went a little to quick the first time and got sloppy. I will find out more possible tomorrow if I am right. Right now I am pondering on charging batteries tonight or tomorrow after work. They are all on storage mode right now.

Tony

Staff member
If you are still having tail issues with that setup, when you get back to the states we will find you a 790 gyro. That should lock that tail in solid unless you want to go flybarless, then we can get you a 3GX hehehe. And NO, you can't have mine lmao.

murankar

Staff member
Well the maiden is on video, but the video quality is real bad. I forgot to resest the ISO speed and I got a lot of artifacts in the final video.

Good news on normal mode the tail was real solid at when it was set at 65. It did appear to bounce slightly every-once-in-a-while. So I lowered it to 60 and that seemed to be holding.
Idel up I had some wag in the tail, so I then lowered the gyro to 55 and since it was getting to dark I could not tell if it helped out any. Not much longer and I will have a real gyro on the tail to solve these issues. The only thing that got real warm was the ESC, I think because it's in the canopy. The spool up is real smooth, no jerking at the very begining. It felt a bit more responsive to the stick input and was able to maintain a more stable hover. Even in the wind it felt like I had better control, still need to work on collective management in the wind. What did hurt was the lack of flying over the last month or so. I have a long weekend and if the weather stays nice enough I should be able to get some flight time in.

Tony

Staff member
I know how that lack of flying goes lol. I'm in the same boat. New heli, lots of planes and have not flown in two weeks. Nothing but work work work.

Top Bottom