General WOW that esc got hot

holtneil

Hi guys I am posting for Steve ( smoggie) he wanted to see the inside of my 120 amp Castle ESC after the crash the Goblin had so here are the photos
20170204_121113.jpg 20170204_121121.jpg 20170204_121134.jpg

Last edited:

holtneil

That was the 12 cell set up for you it was only plugged in for a milli second it burnt the AS150 anti spark as well , Now I know how Steve burnt his finger that day he plugging the leads wrong , It was well past repair so this is why I now have the YGE 120 , Tony you may be able to answer this the castle had a soft ramp up between head speeds the YGE does not seem to have this as it kicks hard on head speed change or have I got it set up wrong

Tony

Staff member
I have always had the opposite effect. Granted, I have never flown YGE, only the YEP, but it had soft transitions whereas the castle always had the hard jumps. I tried to get rid of it in the YEP, but never could. One of the many things I didn't like about the YEP.

holtneil

Hi Tony sound like I have it set up right then , they are a pricey ESC so was thinking it may have a soft ramp up ( 1+ for the castle ESC ) the Goblin just gives a tiny lick in the tail but the Spirit pro soon has it locked back in

Tony

Staff member
Yea, that is common when it is applying full power to get to the head speed you are requesting. This is also the reason I suggest everyone fly with flat curves rather than linear, even as a beginner. Just going up and down on the throttle will cause the same effect.

holtneil

Very true Tony so I was told the blade 230s has a liner throttle only is beginner mode as soon as you use mode 1 or 2 its a fixed head speed , will have to try it Debs snapped one of the blades off the triblade tail blade , just waiting for new one must be a weak point as they sell them in packs of 2

Tony

Staff member
A tri-blade helicopter and they only sell packs of 2? That is not a smart decision on their part. Massive vibrations since the blades should be matched... Hope you get sets that are very close to each other.

holtneil

Its only Tri blade on the tail so should be ok its flies with one blade missing but drifts really bad

holtneil

I think its tri blade due to it having a brushless motor on its tail , the only thing that needs sorting is in stable mode its hard to keep level on take off they say its due to the off set gyros for the bailout makes it a handfull on the deck its ok for me as I just pop it up ( like the 3gx) but for a new pilot it takes some care not to tip over

Tony

Staff member
Ah, the good ole 3GX lol. Yup, I remember those days of popping it up after it had only hit about 40% head speed lmao. I don't miss those days...

Smoggie

You toasted that ESC good Neil! I blew a YEP 120A once but I didn't do nearly as good a job as you did!

As for the ramp up between headspeeds. I've never really noticed an issue but one way to soften the change between headspeeds is by reducing the 'servo speed' on the throttle channel. You can do this on the DX9 in the servo setup menu. With a slow speed on the throttle channel it should cause a gradual ramp up/down between headspeeds. The possible downside is that you might get a delay in activating throttle hold... I've never tried it so i'm not sure exactly how it will work but it could be something to try.

holtneil

Hi Steve yeah that ESC is well dead for a laugh I may send it to castle to fix
I think I will leave as is the jump is only hard between idle 1 and idle 2 its ok between normal and idle 1 it may just be to big of a jump between the modes I normally stay in Idle 1 to fly

Top Bottom