Batteries Would you reuse this battery pack?

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
This is one of casualties of the my Trex 600 DFC crash. The canopy could have saved it if I'd ve had it on -- It would have been expensive, still. These canopies are cheap. Never mind. LOL

IMAG0632.jpg

Please notice the hole in one of those sealed cell

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg

IMAG0633.jpg

Bae Hawk

I'd have to agree......I had a pack that had a minor nick in the casing and my charger came up with an error after 15 minutes. Disconnected from charger and when I pulled out the battery from my charging box it was pretty warm to say the least- close call! You'd most likely see fiames /*Boom

Tony

Staff member
did you happen to get this crash on video? If no video, then you were playing "skip the battery" down the driveway hahahahaha.

Kidding bro. I"m with the other ones, I would probably toss that battery. But, with that said, I know these batteries, even really cheap ones, are like $50+ and it's hard to just kill a battery of that price.

Here is what I would to. Get some cinder blocks, you know, the ones with the two big holes in them that you use for wall building. Then put a solid one below it. This will allow a fireproof place to play with this battery to test it. Then, put it in the hole with the charger in the other hole (protecting the charger) and charge that sucker as fast as you can. Once it's charged, hook up one or two car head lights to the battery and let it drain it at it's highest C capacity that it's rated for. The battery should get warm, but if you see it puffing, you know it's toast. If it's still a good battery, it will not puff. Not unless you over do it on the discharge.

Now, this is to do a full duty test on the battery. Make sure it doesn't leave that cinder block while doing this. If you want to see what could happen to the battery if you put it in your heli, check out the video below...

Goblin up in flames - YouTube

Westy

LEGEND
I would bandage it up with duct tape.... put it on the charger and run a full discharge through it ... and then charge it up. if it gets warm .... throw it..... then just keep an eye on it.

Tony

Staff member
Westy, that is pretty much what I posted. Just one thing, the discharge should be close to the max c rating. If it's a 3000mah 6s pack at 30c, then you need to get close to 90 amps in the discharging to get a true test. That will push the pack to the max, put some heat in it and it's what I would do if I was going to put this into a $1000 helicopter.

Karubah

That hole is a problem Westy. As you likely know oxygen and lipos don't mix. If it was mine I would chuck it out, not worth the risk of burning your bird. How did you crash, were you doing a test flight? I hope you didn't do to much damage to the 600.

Tony

Staff member
You can use headlights to do it. When wiring them up, you will run them as 2 in series to half the voltage, then the rest of them in parallel to equal the amp rating for discharge.

pvolcko

Before tossing it discharge it completely! Don't want to toss that pack in a garbage bin as is. Very well may end lighting it up.

xokia

You can use headlights to do it. When wiring them up, you will run them as 2 in series to half the voltage, then the rest of them in parallel to equal the amp rating for discharge.
Being an EE I had to comment......By the time you're done buying enough life bulbs to test this you might as well have purchased a new battery :) Light bulbs aren't cheap either unless you got a bunch laying around.

If this were my 300 I'd probably fly it. 600-700 no way I would stick that back my helicopter.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
xokia, you are exactly right. I have to remember, not everyone is like me lmao. When one of my headlights goes out in my car, I replace them both (hate that bright white and yellow look lmao). So I have a few lights sitting here that I can wire up in series.

I will go with the majority and say discharge it and trash it. Yes, a lipo can go into the trash, as long as it's discharged.

danhampson

This is from the thunder tiger site about lipo disposal.
DISPOSAL OF LIPO BATTERIES **
Unlike NiCd batteries, lithium-polymer batteries are environmentally friendly. For safety reasons, it’s best that LiPo cells be fully discharged before disposal (however, if physically damaged it is NOT recommended to discharge LiPo cells before disposal see below for details). The batteries must also be cool before proceeding with disposal instructions.
To dispose of LiPo cells and packs:
1. If any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery. Jump to step 5.
2. Place the LiPo battery in a fireproof container or bucket of sand. 3. Connect the battery to a LiPo discharger. Set the discharge cutoff voltage to the lowest possible value. Set the discharge current to a C/10 value, with “C” being the capacity rating of the pack. For example, the “1C” rating for a 1200mAh battery is 1.2A, and that battery’s C/10 current value is (1.2A / 10) can be used, such as a power resistor or set of light bulbs as long as the discharge current doesn’t exceed the C/10 value and cause an overheating condition. For LiPo packs rated at 7.4V and 11.1V , connect a 150 ohm resistor with a power rating of 2 watts (commonly found at Radio Shack)to the pack’s positive and negative terminals to safely discharge connecting it to an ESC/ motor system and allowing the motor to run indefinitely until no power remains to further cause the system to function.
4. Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or lower. For resistive load type discharges, discharge the battery for up to 24 hours.
5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid, but it should not need to be air-tight. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold water. And mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the salt water. Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.
6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water, wrap it in newspaper or paper towels and place it in the normal trash. They are landfill safe

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. Taking your advice, I've decided to discard the damaged battery. Just watched a video of a lipo pack exploding. It's like a fire bomb. It's better to err on the side of caution.

Westy

LEGEND
why not ... put a camera up ... and film it burning up ? at least you do not need to worry about it coming to grief at any later date.

just grab a hamer and smack a 6 inch nail through it LOL .... in the name of science

Obviously you would want to do this outdoors on a barbique stand or in concrete blocks and away (well away from any kids, cars, buildings, animals) ...

Would be an interesting experiment.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
If the post office would ship it, I would donate it to Tony so he could do his experiment. That would be an awesome video. :biggrin1:

Ken Jackson

I'd use a lipo bag if your charging in your house.
Ken

- - - Updated - - -

why not ... put a camera up ... and film it burning up ? at least you do not need to worry about it coming to grief at any later date.

just grab a hamer and smack a 6 inch nail through it LOL .... in the name of science

Obviously you would want to do this outdoors on a barbique stand or in concrete blocks and away (well away from any kids, cars, buildings, animals) ...

Would be an interesting experiment.

I'm pretty sure there's a whole bunch of YouTube videos of people doing that already.

Top Bottom