Spektrum would horizon hobby work on my backlit dx6i?

hawk-i

Hey guys I had a crash this morning that I thought was the fault of one of my emax servos but come to find out it was my left right yaw control on my dx6i. I went into the monitor and saw no movement when I moved the stick. my question is that since I have had my radio I put a turnigy backlight display in it and had to replace my throttle hold switch that I broke with one I got from radio shack. If I sent this radio to Horizon hobby do you think they would work on it or send it back to me and refuse because I tampered with it. Also if I have to buy a new radio what do you guys think about the Turnigy xr9 pro? I have 7 450 class helicopters that all have spectrum receivers on them. Would I have to change my receivers if I went with that radio?

Lee

I'm not sure what they would do.
But on the new radio side, the 9XR Pro is module based. You need to buy a module to go in the back.
You can get a Spectrum one, so you won't need new RXs.
But if you go that route, I would highly recommend the FRSky Taranis over the Turnigy.
Much better quality radio. Also has module option for Spectrum, but come with built in FRSky module out of the box. So you can have two systems in the same radio.
FRSky is considered one of the best strength signal systems out there. Great for FPV

Tony

Staff member
From what I have heard, they will not touch a Tx that has been modified. If I modify my Tx in any way, I do it with teh knowing that I can't send it in for repairs.

hawk-i

thanks guys. I kind of thought that might be the case so I guess I'll just save my cash for a dx8 It's backlit from the factory I think.

murankar

Staff member
As for the 9xr pro i would not go for it. If tou want a 9xr the non pro is a better option.

If you like the open source option the frSky is a way better option.

Something else to consider is the dx6 has been updated to be just like the dx9 but with less channels.

Those are my low cost options.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

hawk-i

Ok I think I have about talked myself into the Frsky taranis . It is cheaper than the dx8 and seems to do more. It also seems the money will be about the same by the time I pay shipping and buy the module . You guys think the taranis is a better move over the dx8. I kind of trust you guys to steer me in the right direction. I know I'm still a noob to this hobby.

Lee

I have no first hand experience with the Taranis, just what I have heard.
For ease of use, menu set up etc, the DX8 can't be beat.
For possibility of set up options, better signal strength, versatility the Taranis seems to be the one.
I have a DX8, but if I had the cash, I'd buy a Taranis as a second radio, mainly for my FPV aircraft.

murankar

Staff member
I think the dx8 would be better than the taranis. At least from a programming aspect. Plus with the dx8 you will get a true Specktrum tx vs a clone module.

Stambo

I have a Taranis and I have to say I love it, I have zero experience with the dx8 so I cannot say which is better.
The only down side with Taranis is the huge learning curve with the firmware but once you get to know how it works, it is an extremely powerful radio.
You can map any function or channel to any switch, dial, slider you want.
The companion PC software is excellent too.
You can easily copy and paste bits from one model to another or copy whole models to modify.
The model wizard is great for basic model setup which you then tweak to suit yourself.
There are heaps of tutorials on the net if you get stuck with anything as the firmware is similar to 9xr and modded 9x.
I regularly back up mine to the PC just because I am paranoid about something going wrong and losing all my models but I have never heard of that happening.

murankar

Staff member
Yes its a huge learning curve. Overall its not a bad radio has all the features of other radios and then some. As for programming a Specktrum radio is way easier to setup.

hawk-i

Thanks guys. Now I'm kind of beside myself and the other self and me are just scratching our heads. But that's a lot of useful information. I guess I'll just sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

murankar

Staff member
Dont let the learning curve scare you. The open source stuff is doing what its supposed and then some. Really the taranis is a great radio.

hawk-i

thanks murankar. Maybe I'll try the taranis. It looks like a great radio and the reviews have been solid. The only thing that's a draw back is if I get a bad one and it cost half as much to send it back as it did to buy it.

wolfman76

From what I have heard, they will not touch a Tx that has been modified. If I modify my Tx in any way, I do it with teh knowing that I can't send it in for repairs.

I had my orange dx6 that wouldn't turn on after I did your backlight mod tony I talked to them on the phone and they let me send it in I just told them what I had done to it and what was wrong turns out I just had a couple plugs reversed when putting it back together all it ended up costing me was the cost of shipping for sending it in... I actually got a phone call later and the guy that had been helping me on the phone complimented me on the tx and said the tech that worked on it said he liked it... lol so it is worth a call to horizon to see they just might

Top Bottom