DIY Working With Carbon Fiber

bigone5500

I need to modify a couple pieces in my quad frame to accommodate a camera mount. I have never drilled or otherwise cut carbon fiber. I need to cut a couple slots and want to know the easiest way to get this done. I have many bits for a dremel but that may not be the best thing. A photo is attached showing what I want to accomplish.

20180413_203253.jpg

Admiral

I've always used a Dremmel works great.

Make sure you use a dust mask, the dusk can cause respiratory problems in the long term so it's not worth the risk.

Tony

Staff member
Drilling or cutting CF is just like metal, just mind that it is in fact fiber. So high rpm and go slow. No issue with a dremel. For slots like that, you would drill two holes per slot and then use the cutting wheel to cut out the slot. Then just use a file or sandpaper to finish it off. And if you think it is going to pull apart, use some extra thin CA to seal it up. I need to do this to my frankenquad build so I can adjust the camera angle. But that will have to wait until I get another Split board. Mine died....

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I thought you wanted the slots that were already there. I didn't realize that was actually your picture. My bad.

To make a slot on the radius, you can use a round micro file and just be really careful. Or, like you did, you can just find an angle you like and drill a hole so then the camera can't move and will always be in the same place.

bigone5500

That's the only downside. I can't move the angle. I don't like the height of the pivot hole either. It has the lens touching the top plate. I'm not satisfied but I like the mount better as I have protection on the sides now.

Tony

Staff member
Well in that case lower the front hole down and make sure to line it up with the slots that are already there.

Top Bottom