450 wont take off

tricky1400

hi not sure if you can help me with my problem

i have set up my DX6i and heli / servos / etc as per tonys videos , i have charged the lipo and the radio has fresh batteries in it .

having previously flown the heli with another radio ( original ) with no problems i am assuming that the heli is set up properly but when i spool up to full throttle the blades turn full speed but the heli does not lift at all !

the pitch settings on the radio are..... low 45% / 47.5 / 50 / 75 / and 100
the throttle is set 0 / 25 / 50 / 75 / 100
the aileron is + 60
the elevator is - 60
the pitch + 60

the swash plate is level at half stick

i get a little vibration as it gets up to speed and it " sounds " the same as it did on the old radio

but at full throttle it just sits on the ground

can anyone point me in the right direction

thanks for any help

Tony

Staff member
Make sure your throttle hold is set to 0 across the board. Flip the switch.

When you raise the collective, does your swash plate go up? If it goes down, then take that Pitch number from +60 to -60. This will reverse the collective.

Make sure, if the swash is going up when you are going to full throttle, that the TRAILING EDGE of the blades are going DOWN. This would be the right side of the blade when you are looking at the closest blade to you if sitting beside it.

Your pitch is fine, but I would change your throttle settings to 0 40 65 65 65 if you have a good ESC (Align). This will give you a constant head speed while you are flying and will be much more stable and the tail will not blow out as bad on pitch pumps.

Hope this helps. Let me know.

tricky1400

Tony thank you for your reply

throttle hold is set to 0

when i raise collective ( right stick forward ) the rear of the swash plate goes up

when i push the throttle forward ( left stick ) the whole swash plate goes up level

when i go full throttle the trailing edge of the blades are going DOWN

i have adjusted the throttle to your settings

thanks again for your help

what should i try next

thanks

Tony

Staff member
Be advised, the right stick is the Cyclic and the left stick is collective on Mode 2 Tx's.

You will now need to get your pitch gauge and check your full positive and negative pitch. You should have at least 10º of pitch each way.

tricky1400

thanks again

oh no not the dreaded pitch , i am useless at setting that up

i dont do inverted flight , which i presume the negative pitch is for ?

i have set up all the servos and the arms are all at 90 degrees

and everything is going in the right direction on the swash plate

also made sure the swash plate is level

i will have a go at the pitch over the weekend

it never seems to go right for me , i adjust it one way and then its too
much so assume i have to adjust it the other way but it doesnt get any
better

i will keep you posted how i get on

do you think that this is whats stopping it taking off if the pitch out ?

thanks

Tony

Staff member
Regardless of if you fly inverted, you should set the negative pitch so that it exactly matches the positive pitch. The reason for this is it centers the swash on the main shaft and works the way it's supposed to work.

I do think the pitch is some of your issues, if not all. Setting the pitch on a heli will take a few hours but is a MUST to do correctly. I have a few videos on setting pitch. If you need help, you can find them in the articles section under How To tab. Below is the link to some of them. Also check out the Transmitter section where I do complete builds. Lots of videos to help you out in there.

Rc-Help - Setting Up

Top Bottom